What Thead Hijacking Means

Yes, I am very thankful.
On Friday, I went to the local park where I do much of my walking, and the entrance to the parking lot that I usually use was blocked by 4 abandoned Crossover/SUVs. The most dramatic one was a Lexus RX-330, which had been pushed–sideways–into a guard rail. My first thought was… How did that happen?

Then, I noticed debris on its roof, and I also saw that, based on the mud left on trees, the flood waters at that place must have been a minimum of 5 feet deep. This was only ~3 miles from my home, but–thankfully–I am on the highest ridge in the area. Where the SUVs were abandoned was adjacent to a stream that apparently turned into a raging river during and immediately after the storm.

Was in Brooklyn Left Monday, Don’t know why Sat Sun and Mon showed flash flood warnings on noaa weather, so back to snowblowers, bought a 2 stage after snowmageddon, have a pic somewhere, the end of the drive was 2 feet over the handle of the single stage blower, made it through. I’m sure this is a hijack, sorry @tester , but doing it anyway

All this talk of snow blowers got me to start mine up. It died about four times before it would run continuously. I let it run a couple of minutes then put the cover back on it. I’ll do that again in about a month. Then I’ll really be ready for the snow that won’t come this year. I mean, I’m ready, right? Snow won’t come if I’m ready.

1 Like

I bought a new snowblower this year, no snow!!!

The National Weather service posted a video to one of their twitter feeds that showed an intersection somewhere in Brooklyn with at least one parked car bobbing up and down like a boat.

Years ago we had the storm drains get completely overwhelmed at the major intersection near where I work. The water was almost waist deep at 7am and by 3pm the cars in the lot across the street had water up the roof. We watched from the store high and dry but without power.

By now, I have a good idea what hijacking is. Now can we explain what lojacking is?

Sure!

:+1:

What’s a “Thead”?

2 Likes
2 Likes

I thought it was funny. While I have visited NYC and NY state, I have never lived anywhere near there.

Initially I didn’t understand the attraction, but it grew on me after a while. The 4 cast members played crazy people…that is universal!

It had a starter motor? Luxury! When I was a kid we had an engine sitting in the back of the garage. Never ran and never knew what it was until about ten years ago. It was one of those farm engines used to power various equipment with a leather belt. No starter motor though. It had a handle on the side of the flywheel so you could crank it to start it. I have no idea what happened to it.

Me either. I don’t think there are any. For pandemic-tv amusement I’ve been watching mostly older shows, like , “Cheers”, “Everybody Loves Raymond”, “Doctor Who”, “The Adventures of Superman” etc. Some folks here seem like “The Big Bang Theory”. I’ve watched parts of some episodes, but it doesn’t hold my attention. The scripts are well written, some segments are quite funny, but the interpersonal-interaction component of the plots seem to be geared more to singles & dating topics, which I don’t find particularly compelling.

I loved the crotchety old dad in Everybody Loves Raymond. Great show.

Me three. The current crop of so called comedians are really unfunny. If they couldn’t swear, there would be huge blanks. I think Carson had more people watching in one night than these guys get in a year. Just really full of themselves and trying to impress their Hollywood friends.

I check the markets and local news and any national calamities and that’s about it. I’m not sure why I’m paying $200 a month for this.

Don’t know if this qualifies as hijacking (by myself and the figures in the story I will tell), but here goes. Quite a few years ago I was watching a Monday Night Football game (the commentators were Frank Gifford, Don Meredith and Howard Cosell - that’s how long ago it was). It was about half way through the 4th quarter and 1 team was up by 4 or 5 touchdowns. That team had just scored and kicked off. The other team took possession deep in their own territory, but started driving. When their drive started, either Meredith or Gifford made a comment about the college one of the players had attended, then the other (Cosell was quiet - go figure) made a comment divergent from the first one, then the first commenter went further afield until they were talking about something completely unrelated to anything having to do with football. By this time the losing team had driven down inside the winning team’s 10 yard line when Cosell broke in to say, “But what about the game?” One of the best comments I’ve ever heard during a sporting event. Am I guilty of highjacking? Were Gifford and Meredith?

So we are getting our bathroom redone, 1 bath house, we were at the cabins and still might be there but had to come back so wife could go shopping for clothes and go to NYC for a wedding Probably 2 more weeks till it is done. No good clothes near brainerd, MN. Sorry @tester for hijacking your thread, you are in my opinion one of the esteemed contributors and thank you for all you do!

George is watching old television shows and Barkydog got a new toilet, this is easy to follow.

My current favorite–which just began airing new episodes–is Nora From Queens, which is on Comedy Central on Wednesday nights. However, I’m not sure that you would consider its edgy humor to be “family friendly”. And, you can still catch re-runs of the multiple Emmy-winning Schitt’s Creek on Comedy Central every Friday night. Again, you might not consider it to be family friendly, but its acting and writing are superb, and its low-key humor is very sophisticated.

If you get Antenna TV on your cable system, they run old Burns & Allen shows very late on Saturday night/Sunday morning. I still think that this was one of the best TV comedies that ever aired.

download

1 Like

I frequently watch old re-runs of Johnny Carson on that channel. Comfort tv is good for crisis’s. Last night Johnny interviewed Doc, regarding Doc’s home tomato crop. Doc said he wished he’d planted his tomatoes two weeks earlier than he had. Johnny: “Why is that Doc?” Doc: “Because then I’d have tomatoes two weeks sooner!” Well, this give&take was funnier than it sounds. Earlier in the show, during monolog, Johnny told this funny joke: "Sad news. Yesterday the Australian man who invented the boomerang hand-grenade was killed. " … lol …

1 Like