Ultimate Guy and Chick Cars

Greatscot-- You are obviously a rare sort–a discerning and non-material woman. I hope you know that there are others of your gender who do not possess those qualities. First let me say I have been married before (and don’t ever care to be again), and when it comes to women, well, as we say in Texas, this ain’t my first rodeo. I respect and adore women and do NOT go out with women who are so shallow as to be attracted to my car. That’s why I drive my Prius 90+ percent of the time. However, my current girlfriend who happens to be one of the most intelligent human beings I’ve ever met, loves me for my intellect but is secure enough in her femininity to admit to me that she tingles when I hit the highway in my NSX and take it up to 90 in about 4 seconds. I’m sorry if you thought I was bashing your gender–that was not my intent at all.

Cheers,

Spoiler

Previously I thought that the ultimate Chick Magnate was either Meg Whitman or Carly Fiorina.
Who would have thought that a motorcycle could be a magnate?

;-))

Before I settled down in the late 60s I dated 4 women who owned sports cars, and enjoyed driving them.

However, going out on a date all dressed up, or going to the drive-in theatre, they always preferred a comfortable, roomy car with a BENCH SEAT and low noise level to at least carry on a conversation! My Chick Magnets were a Pontiac Bonneville 2 door hardtop and a loaded Oldsmobile Delta 88!

Come to think of it, in highschool, my dad’s Buick Roadmaster, all shined up, was a hit as well.

Interesting observations! I belong to a mountain hiking and skiing club. Most of our 95 members have travelled and hiked all over the world. All are very straight, I think! We have 6 Subaru Legacy Outbacks and three Subaru Foresters and numerous other hatchback and crossover style vehcles that can hold skis, bikes, etc inside.

No one has a pickup truck, Hummer, large SUV, sports car or large rear drive US car.

I had heard that gay men in the US love Subaru Legacy wagons and Outbacks. Can’t find any confirmation.

Some years ago I found a hilarious book called “You Are What You Drive”, a great social commentary. Some of the car/person combos identified were:

1. Volvo wagon; textbook editor, wears only natural fibres
  2. Cadillac with bustleback; discount carpet store operator who makes his own TV commercials
  3. Firebird; unstable 25 year old male with an attitude, secretly afraid of his mother
  4. Jaguar Vandenplas; middle age shopaholic matron
  5. Series 3 BMW; classic chardonnay drinking yuppy
  6. Porsche Carerra; local drug dealer
  7. Plymouth Neon; bingo playing senior
  8. Chevy Caprice; vertically challenged Asian in California
  9. Mercedes SL sports coupe; wannabe sports car driver
  10. Mercedes S class sedan; plastic surgeon in California, admired by lady in (4)

I am a girly girl. I love ANYTHING pink, flowers, and chick flicks. However, when I saw the winners I came to the conclusion that when it comes to cars I must be a guy. I wouldn’t take any of the “ultimate chick cars” if you paid me to. The guy cars on the other hand, are totally my top 5 car choices. I drive a 5-speed 2008 Mustang GT. I refuse to own a car that doesn’t have a manual transmission, or anything less than a V8. I love speed, sound, and if I’m not first off the line I’m sick or I’m dead. So I completely disagree with the chick cars, all of them :slight_smile: Sorry

I think the answer to this depends, as some have suggested, on the intent of the guy/chick. Are we talking sex or marriage? (And, yes, unfortunately they are mutually exclusive.)

I also think that rather than a “type of car” thing, the answer is more about “condition of car.” An example will clarify: when I met my EX-husband he had a 10 year old Toyota that, as he said, “I have never had to do anything for this car except change the oil.” That was his definition of what should be expected of him in a marriage, too. That car looked like hell, and so did I after 10 years with him!

When I got a new boyfriend recently, a girlfriend immediately asked me what his car was like. I told her, and she said, “That’s good. That’s a sign that he knows how to take care of things. He knows that if you put some effort into something it will last longer and look better. He’s not afraid to spend money for something of value, but he isn’t going to waste money on showy stuff.” That’s a guy who knows how to treat a woman right! (Unless she considers herself “showy stuff.” And the problem with that is that showy stuff has to be regularly replaced with NEW showy stuff.)

You can set my truck on fire, and roll it down a hill
But I still wouldn’t trade it for a Coupe DeVille
I’ve got an eight foot bed that never has to be made
You know if it weren’t for trucks we wouldn’t have tailgates
I met all my wives in traffic jams,
There’s just something women like about a Pickup Man

great song

When I had the 2005 Toyota Tacoma Pickup, 4x4, guys were looking and waving at me. I think they wanted the truck, not me.

I am a very environmentally conscious woman and don’t drive a car. I am very active with an environmental group that works on sustainable transportation alternatives, and usually like men who ride bicycles. In fact, I generally dislike anything that runs on an internal combustion engine, and especially hate big, gas guzzling cars.
However, I can’t help but be attracted to men on motorcycles.

Don’t get me wrong, a motorcycle won’t do much to help men with tough, leathery skin and tattoos of daggers and snakes who are missing a few teeth, but average men who I would never look at twice if they were walking down the street seem very sexy on a motorcycle. Even men who are pompous or jerks all of a sudden seem very appealing as they jump on a motorcycle.

My 1951 Willys Jeep (restored) draws far more attention from guys and chicks than any other car I have ever owned. I’m 62. I’ve owned a lot of cars.

If it’s the flower vase that puts the New Beetle firmly in the chick-car category, perhaps VW could increase their market share by offering a Guy Edition, in which the vase would be replaced by a spittoon.

Alan Follett

How about the 1955 Dodge Le Femme?From Wikipedia:
"Dodge received the project and renamed the concept the La Femme, which began as a 1955 Dodge Custom Royal Lancer “spring special” hardtop two-door coupe, painted “Sapphire White” and “Heather Rose”. From there, the exterior received special gold-colored “La Femme” scripts that replaced the standard “Custom Royal Lancer” scripts on the cars front fenders.
The interior of the car also received attention and features. 1955 La Femme interiors were upholstered in a special tapestry material featuring pink rosebuds on a pale silver-pink background and pale pink vinyl trim. The La Femme also came with a keystone-shaped, pink calfskin purse that coordinated with the interior of the car. The purse could be stowed in a special compartment built into the back of the passenger seat, and its gold-plated medallion faced outward. This brushed-metal medallion was large enough to have the owner’s name engraved upon it.
Each purse was outfitted with a coordinated set of accessories inside, which included a face-powder compact, lipstick case, cigarette case, comb, cigarette lighter and change purse, all made of either faux-tortoiseshell plastic and gold-tone metal, or pink calfskin and gold-tone metal, and all were designed and made by ?Evans?, which was a maker of women’s fine garments and accessories in Chicago, Illinois. Guards were eventually posted on the Dodge assembly-line at the time when Dodge LaFemme spring special models were being assembled, because the stacks of fine-quality cardboard boxes containing the LaFemme accessories were prime objects of theft.
On the back of the drivers seat was a compartment that contained a raincoat, rain bonnet and umbrella, all made from a vinyl patterned to match the rosebud interior fabric. Dodge marketing brochures for the La Femme stated clearly that the car was made “By Special Appointment to Her Majesty… the American Woman.”

A Miata with a an automatic? Definitely a chick car. One – like mine – with a stick, suspension and engine mods and a set of “track” wheels and tires? Not so much. Don’t believe me? Let me take you for a blast down my favorite canyon road; when you can talk again, you’ll change your tune.

Well, an obvious coastal bias here. For the rest of the flyover states, the ultimate chick car is a Jeep Wrangler 4X4.

But this comes froma guy that has owned a VW Rabbit Diesel, van, Audi A6 Quattro and now a veggie oil powered Jetta (which gets more thumbs up from the college chicks)

I feel exactly the same way.

I agree full heartily with greatscot. I think her suggestions (above and below) are brilliant. I would just like to add a few other car suggestions.

Limiting female repulsion (let alone attraction) will be your main objection. As a single 30 something with no kids, I have to say that I would be turned off by a standard minivan. However, there certainly might be some single mothers out there that will sympathize with your choice.

I would say a small (5 seater) SUV or station wagon would be the best bet for you. The smaller SUV will have much better gas mileage and not as much road noise. If you need a third row, I would suggest a Subaru Tribeca with the third row option. It gets decent gas mileage and the car brand is generally desired by many eco-intellects. However, it is a bit pricey starting at $31,000. The Toyota Rav-4 w/ 4WD, tow package and third row seat option will get good gas mileage and is about $27,000. But the interiors will probably not be as nice.

Eliminating the third row opens up a whole mess of options.
-Subaru Impreza Outback Sport (Small SUV) - Good mileage, sporty, AWD, fairly roomy, affordable, although questionable about towability.
-Volvo V50 T5 AWD R (station wagon)- Good mileage, somewhat sporty, extremely safe (as all Volvos are), luxurious interiors for your lady, but not cheap starting at $36,000 for the AWD and the loss of some cup holder goodnesses found in minivans.
-Honda CR-V (Small SUV) - Good mileage, pretty affordable, tow hitch available (1,500 lbs), good cup holders, although not sure about interior noise.
-Honda Element - Great choice for people with exceptionally messy children (can practically be hosed down on the inside), pretty good mileage, affordable, very roomy, but can be difficult to get into back seat (might not be the best choice if your child is in a car seat), the style can be a positive or negative.

You guys should know this one, to attract chicks - an MG!! I have owned everything from a Ford truck to a Jag XJ6, and get 100 times more attention in my '60 MGA. Actually it’s scarry, being straight, as it seems to be equally attractive to both genders.

ABSOLUTELY! A woman can either own a car that is feminine in nature, or one that is very much not, so that her femininity stands out in contrast. A wrangler (preferably with mud still on it), or perhaps a VW Thing (it’d be a kick to see a gal in such an odd car). This only works, note, if she’s “classicly feminine”: wouldn’t work too well for a somewhat androgynous female, IMO.

Oh, for all those who mentioned how sexy MCs make men, I remember seeing a cute brunette pull up to the coffee shop in a Buell Lightning, and I was like…WOW.

I pretty darn sure it doesn’t work in reverse: I’ve never heard a woman profess a liking for a manly man in a womanly ride!

I will never understand why the best selling real sports car gets chick car status?

I guess I must be having a crisis when I am towing my Miata to the race track with my F250 V10 SuperDuty!

Ultimate chick car: Audi TT