Snake in car

Shiela changed her panties over a month ago and has not been back since…

Some other person named lori resurrected the thread b/c a small snake got loose inside of her car.

Ah yes…Snakes do not like and can not stand high temperatures. Park the car in direct sun for a while (top up) and the snake will be looking for an exit…

I agree with caddyman, OP changed panties and slithered on.

Thanks for all of your answers! It is a milk snake according to my brother and he is pretty good with knowing all of this stuff. I looked it up on the net and it appears to be a milk or brown snake. They are not Venomous and it’s not a copperhead. It was a skinny but long snake with a small head. That night I left the top down and put it up hours after and left the windows open just a bit. Then it was in direct sunlight for a couple of hours the next day. I did quite a bit of driving and didn’t see him so I am hoping he left!!!
Thank you everyone for your helpful comments. I just might try the mothball thing overnight and see if he comes out. I guess since I tried to save him in the first place I don’t want him to die up there! How long can he go with out eating? My brother had a boa and if I remember right the snake ate once a month. I could be wrong as that was a long time ago!

Well i can give you some “expert” advise here lol. This actually happened to me. I went out to our carport (in northern AZ) and there was a bullsnake by my car. It literally had a hissy fit and tried to chase me. I grabbed a nearby broom and lunged at it hoping it would just slither away and i could. get in my car. Uh no…the snake wasnt having any of that! It disappeared from under the SUV. I looked all around and out it the yard expecting to see it making a hasty retreat. It was nowhere to be found. I kept hearing the hissing however. I decided to postpone my trip to the grocery store for an hour and a half. I came back out later and still had that forboding feeling it was still around and had a fleeting thought of what if it went up into the car? Sooo time to get hubby involved…i told him what had happened and that i thought it was up in there somewhere. I asked him to please open the hood and check it out. He thought i was nuts but he almost pooped his pants because as he lifted the hood up to take a peek, it was sitting right on top of the engine, coiled up and ready to strike!! He dropped the hood and jumped back about 5 ft!! I couldnt help myself i started laughing so hard from seeing the look on his face!! Well now that we had confirmed it was in there we had to still try and pop open the hood and work our fingers around to the sides of the hood before we lifted it up all the way so he couldnt strike at us. We got my son in law involved at this point as two of us lifted the hood very very carfully and he was supposed to hit it with the broom. Well that only pissed the snake off more- instead of leaving it went further into the engine compartment. We thought we could get the engine really hot and he’d come out . Nope. We tried blasting the A/C to freeze him out. Nope. We tried driving fast and slamming on the brakes to dislodge him. Nope. We went to get a water hose with a jet nozzle thinking that would drive him out. Nope. An hour and a half later it was still in there. I was afraid it would get inside the actual car and it freaked me out. Now the men were on a mission because they wanted dinner and i would not go to the store knowing it was still in there. One grabbed a fireplace poker and the other a long metal pole. After another 45 min we finally got the snake to start coming out by the washer fluid reservoir and come out by the passenger side windshield. It was then we realized the passenger window was open and the snake was making a beeline for it! My husband quickly hit it with a broom and knocked it off and onto the carport floor. He turned momentarily to grab the shovel to finish him off but the snake was too fast. I watched it arch its body and ascend up the wheel well and back up into the engine!! We had to start all over again. After at least another 45 min my son in law skewered it with the fireplace poker and the snakes body started coming out the bottom of the engine compartment. My husband took the broom handle and pulled the loop of its body down to the carport floor. My son in law let pressure off the poker and my husband drug it out from beneath the car and finished it off with the shovel. It took three humans over 3 hours to get it out. I had to check the oil the other day…needless to say i was extremely nervous to pop open that hood!! True story folks!!

2 Likes

It would have moved away on it’s own if you left it alone. Couldn’t you have gone shopping in another car? Snakes perform a valuable service by keeping the vermin population in check. I’m not fond of snakes either, but I leave them alone so that they can do their job. If you didn’t want it in the carport, one of the guys could have pulled it out and far enough away that it wouldn’t get into any trouble in the carport.

2 Likes

Since it seems the snake has been seen. In the car. Is it a venomous snake? If not, it would not bother me. Where I grew-up in the Western Pacific Northwest there were none. As a child to young teenager I caught many snakes. During primary indoctrination at Army basic training (Ft Leonard Wood Missouri). the instructor informed us that there were 4 native venomous snakes in the continental U.S. they were: Rattlesnake, Copperhead, Cottonmouth, and Coral Snakes. “They all live here”! I met a few Copperheads and quite a few Cottonmouths. When I went to advanced training in Southern Arizona I saw several Western Diamondback Rattlesnakes.

The OP said it was a bullsnake, not venomous. If it was venomous, that’s even more reason to stay away. When it gets hungry, it will move off. I’m sure it lived somewhere else and was just taking a break while hunting.

We had a copperhead on the front sidewalk about 6 feet from the front door. It was chowing down a small rodent when disturbed. My BIL decided to kill it with a shovel, but all he succeeded in doing was making it angry. The snake threw up the mouse and slithered off quickly. For a couple weeks after that, I saw a burrow hole through the mulch next to the front stoop. I figured the copperhead was sleeping there while it ate all the small rodents in the front gardens. I was concerned because our dog liked to lay down a couple feet from the hole. I talked to a herpatologist friend and he said when it couldn’t find a meal, it would move on and that is exactly what happened. He also said the snake hunts at night, and that made me feel better. Everyone was OK, except the chipmunks, and I got my garden cleaned out.

I was camping over the winter in NC. I was getting ready to leave one morning, went to check my oil. I popped the hood and found this guy coiled around the brake master cylinder. I poked him with a stick for 20 minutes and he wouldn’t leave. So I just stepped back and after about 10 minutes he crawled out on his own

That’s a good looking snake there @ChrisTruck, looks like some version of racer. Bull snakes – if its the same snake we called by that name when I lived in Colorado – aren’t venomous but can still bite, so best to give them plenty of distance. They are a beneficial snake, eat rodents etc, so we never hurt them, just let them go on their way. They do tend to be a little cranky and can put up a brave and noisy front if approached, unlike other snakes that just turn tail and slither away. When I’ve had to move a snake I use the snake-pole method.

http://www.waldeneffect.org/blog/Do_it_yourself_PVC_snake_pole/

This snake didn’t seem aggressive at all. I could tell he was afraid to come out because I’m standing right there. It wasn’t until I walked away that he finally came out.

Yeah, racer-snakes are pretty shy creatures. We have a few around here in San Jose area, but they are so afraid of people I rarely see them. Much more common to see a rattlesnake than a racer here.

My dad was terrified of snakes. When I was a kid he almost shot the car because there was a rattlesnake under the hood. That shotgun would probably have caused a little more than cosmetic damage. :wink: Fortunately mom stopped him and caught the snake. She dispatched it with a hoe (“No I am NOT going to shoot it, what would the neighbors think!”).

Did NOBODY notice that @Nostalgicmusic revived a 7 year old discussion . . . :thinking:

I did but… Eh. It’s still a good discussion.

If it were me, the car would still be sitting there for 7 years but I would have constructed a cage around it. Shot gun no, .22 bird shot maybe or regular, depending on the back drop.

1 Like

Yeah, that’s more rational. But apparently when dad was a kid he saw a guy waterski into a nest of water moccasins, and that pretty much ended any rationality he had toward snakes. Once we were on a hike and there was a dead corn snake on the trail. It was obviously dead, because it was missing chunks out of its body and the blood was dry.

Dad pitched rocks at it for 5 minutes to make sure the thing was dead before we could keep going. Snakes were the one thing that he just couldn’t tamp down the terror on, which is why I was grounded for so long when for April Fools I figured out exactly how to position the rubber snake on the ceiling fan in their bedroom so it would fly at his face when he flipped the switch… :wink:

1 Like

:rofl::rofl::rofl: Sounds like something I may or may not have done to my little brother when we were growing up!

1 Like

Did anyone else care?