Sluggish forum-site response

I have no idea what that is, never seen it, you might have to screen shot what you mean…

I use Windows 11 Home and Google Chrome…

Untitled_new

Never paid attention to that before… lol
I am showing 1.1 GB right now…

OMG! Try it for another website, like Google.

Another forum is 49.4 MB

That’s more like what I’d expect. Something must be amiss w/the Car Talk website. Hopefully the website gurus will chime in with their ideas.

How often do you delete browser cookies or browser history?

I just deleted them, memory usage moved from 1.5GB to 1.3 GB.

A few minutes later, memory usage is now down to 0.85 GB. So maybe tossing the website’s cookies (so to speak … lol …) does offer some benefit for the high memory usage symptom. Oops, seconds later, now it is back to 1.0 GB.

I tried an experiment on my Firefox browser using its “about:memory” measurement feature.

With my ad-blocker enabled, I created a new tab, opened this site, clicked on this discussion.
The memory usage was 103 Mb.

Then I repeated the above with my ad-blocker disabled.
The memory usage was 184 Mb.

That’s a 78% increase in memory just from ads within seconds of opening one tab! Just think of the added memory usage across multiple open tabs, and tabs that are long running which tend to use more memory.

1 Like

7.18.2024 update: Good news so far. No sluggishness noted, and no high memory usage messages.

7.19.24 update: On the right pathway. No sluggishness noted, but the “high memory usage” message has returned today, showing 1.0 GB. Still, this is a definite improvement over the prior 3+ GB.

No updates needed George . Private message Julie or John because they are the ones who can contact someone if there is a problem .

I wonder if George has scanned his computer for spyware and/or cookies recently. I am usually pretty good about removing cookies from my machine, but I have been preoccupied recently with some health issues, and when I finally decided to delve-into cookie land yesterday, I found that I had not done one of those scans for a little more than one month.

Following the scan for spyware, malware, and cookies, it turned-out that more than 4,300 cookies had contaminated my laptop during that period of time. After cookie removal, there is a noticeable improvement in my machine’s performance.

This is the free program that I use. They also try to sell you a “paid” version, but the free version seems to be very effective:

Any idea how it compares to CCleaner free edition?? We have used CCleaner seems like forever…

I tried CCleaner for a while… until the hard sell for their paid version became so extreme that it locked-up my laptop. Bye-bye CCleaner!

1 Like

I wonder how spyware or cookie problems could only affect Car Talk/Community, and no other websites?

More good news for the Car Talk tech support folks: No sluggishness nor high memory usage messages nor infectious parasite ads today, so far.

Malware Bytes?

Auslogics for defrag.

I think that’s what I have used for years but I have been a little remiss in updating and saving stuff.

What are you running where defragging is necessary?

As of Windows 7, HDDs (spinning disk drives) are defragged automatically.
Solid state drives, like SSDs or NVMEs, don’t need to be defraged.

1 Like

My Win8 laptop, which I took advantage of a free upgrade to Win 10 home basic 8 years ago, periodically shows 2-4 percent fragmented. So I run Auslogics, and it also speeds the machine up a little, for a while.

Now… If I could just get this thing to stop using my HDD as RAM, and pegging disc use to 100 percent half the time!