Sluggish forum-site response

On a typical forum, a moderator has no control over adds and things in the back ground, that is something only an Admin can do… And as I said before, show me the Admin(s) for this forum, I don’t think there is for whatever reason… As an Admin, I could go in and change the add settings, it is all in the setup, but again, NO Admins on here that I have ever seen or heard of…

I’m not picking on you George in anyway here, just letting you know why nothing has been done about the adds changing sizes and making the threads jump up and down… Again, if the forum had Admins that were on here regularly, it would probably irritate them as well…

They rely on Discourse Hosting for technical support.

The radio program employed a tech guru who later transferred his computer skills to this website and as I recall helped design the way the adverts work. His first name is Doug, but forget his last name. Maybe he is still here and willing to explain more about why the ads are the way they are.

Doug Mayer? I hope he found a job about ten years ago after the show was discontinued.

Yes, that’s who I’m thinking of. He was here before, and seemed quite knowledgeable about the best ways use advertising to fund internet forums like this.

Don’t need it explained or really care how it all works, Nevada pretty much covered that in two words, just wish I didn’t have to chase the Reply button cause the adds keep changing heights while I try to click on it or whatever…
Or while reading something the page keeps jumping up or down and sometimes off screen, I’m sure if we can put a man on the moon, someone or something (don’t really care what) can change the add settings… Just saying… :man_facepalming:

I have used this site below to check out other sites in the past… I checked it against my sites and it was pretty dead on the money years ago…

Our records indicate that cartalk.com is privately registered by Domains By Proxy, LLC. Cartalk.com is expected to earn an estimated $20 USD per day ($7,408 USD yearly) from advertising revenue. The sale of cartalk.com would possibly be worth $14,825 USD. This figure is based on the daily revenue potential of the website over a 24 month period. Cartalk.com is very popular with an estimated 7,121 daily unique visitors. This report was last updated 8th July, 2024.

So the adds are working for the site, nobody is getting rich lol, but not loosing money either…

He’s listed as a moderator so I think he’s still active at Car Talk. I imagine all the moderators do this to augment their income and I appreciate their support.

The site list of Moderators has 9 names . Only 3 are active - John Goreham - Carolyn - and some who is listed as Web Monkey .

And as to the ridiculous claim the the Moderators can be manipulated is absolutely false .

1 Like

He and the others just as Volvo mentioned show this when you try to click on them…

When (if) the site is only making about $20 a day, not much if any income is generated for a Mod after the cost for domain and hosting etc fees… Like I said:

So yes, a thank you to the mods for doing what they do for free, but why not have mods that are constantly active??

1 Like

This site seems extra sluggish today for some reason (7.15.24). I’m seeing the “high memory usage, 3.4 GB” indications again as well.

Yesss! Doug “the old gray” Mayer! :rofl:

Have you checked your computer system for a virus? I didn’t have slow response problems yesterday or today.

That’s a possibility. I don’t know how to check for a virus. I experience no sluggishness on other websites though, only Car Talk. Only Car Talk shows the “high memory usage” message. If a virus, it would have to be a Car Talk specific virus. Are there such things?

Today, there’s no “high memory usage” message so far. And no sluggishness.

For that kind of money, there has to be a few of us 7000 that would throw in a thousand or two to buy it out and open it up like 20 years ago.

What operating system and version? Most OSs have some virus checking embedded. I have Windows 10 on our laptop and it continuously checks and reports status whenever we do a cold start.

I don’t want to clutter the forum w/computer-talk. I’ll ask my IT knowledgeable friends for some help. It appears I’m the only one having this problem.

Update: No sluggishness or high memory usage messages yesterday, but today (7.17.24) sluggishness and high memory usage message (2.8 GB) has returned. Only affects this website. I’m not asking for forum ideas, just reporting the situation for the website’s technical folks.

It got very slow for me today, trying to reply, I could type out 2 words before it showed up, I type slow, y’all could have typed 10 words out… lol
But I finally clicked on X at the top right of the tab and then just opened a new tab and the forum and it has been fine since…

1 Like

Good info. I have also noticed if I close the browser and restart it, the sluggishness often goes away, but usually the relief is temporary. Suggest next time you notice the sluggish response, place the cursor to the upper left corner of the screen, over the tab saying “sluggish forum-site response” (if you are reading this thread). You don’t have to press a mouse button, just hover the cursor there. Do you see a screen message pop up saying the website name & “high memory usage”? (This debug method may only work with the computer configuration I use, Windows/Chrome, don’t know. )

Debug info for Car Talk tech folks: I just signed out of the forum, closed the browser, then signed back in. No more sluggishness, and memory usage is no longer “high”, only 0.75 GB vs 3+ GB just before I signed out and closed the browser, when it was sluggish. I’m guessing one of the website programs isn’t properly releasing its memory buffer back to the operating system when it closes. Memory usage has increased from 0.75 to 0.99 GB just in this short length of time.