Place Lexus in NEUTRAL and push out of the garage WITHOUT STARTING?

No it means you hire a company to do maintenance. or for sure get a fine if your grass is more than 1 foot tall.

... not allowed to mow lawns after 5 o'clock or on weekends,... required to put up Christmas lights
The lawn mowing restriction brings QUIET to the neighborhood. Christmyth lights? We're agnostic. Neighbor asked, "Robert, is that true?" "Swear to God." I answered.

NOT EXHAUSTED!
THANK YOU, Nevada 545!
Pressing the START button twice without depressing the brake pedal allows shifting out of PARK.
This morning I rolled her SUV out of the garage with no exhaust and no starting a cold engine and shutting it off.
Thank you.
Now back to bed. Home late last night from two emergentransports for a gunshot patient.

Awhile back I drove through an "upper class" area of town and seen a house with 2 3-car garages and they still had 3 vehicles sitting outside.

The year we bought our house we also looked at a community in Windham NH. They had all the covenants that really restricted us from buying there…one was all of your cars MUST BE PARKED in the garage. No cars parked in the driveway. No boats stored on the property…no clotheslines…no outside hot-tubs…etc…etc.

I heard many of the clothesline retrictions may face challenges. It directly conflicts with the desire to reduce energy consumption. Personally, I never understood the aversion to seeing drying clothes outside. Sure, you don’t want a messy neighbor next door but hanging clothes until they dry? Get a grip…

I’m glad Robert found the true solution to his question. ( despite all of our sarcastic retorts. )

I’ve never been a fan of these push button ignitions, ever, they just sound so un-neccesary. the kind of technology that just proves the theory ; ‘’ just because you can, does not mean you should.’'
Depending on the market at the time, I honestly believe that a push button ignition will stop me from buying that kind of vehicle next time. I will ‘‘just say no’’ and not even consider that one.

There you go. Take on an HOA. Its about time someone does. Colorado recalled a couple of legislators so why not go after an off-kilter HOA?

Take on an HOA. Its about time someone does.
I have never been afraid to take on anything. (I like sarcasm.) But, I believe we signed an agreement to the HOA rules. If I fight them, they use OUR dues to pay for their defense.

But I also believe US energy rules supercede HOA prohibitions about solar collectors on roofs.
Maybe I can use that technicality to win a solar dryer (clothesline).

All of the guys that I know who tried to fight their HOA eventually quit

In several cases, they got into ugly confrontations, when they found out which particular neighbor snitched them out

@chunkyazian

What are you disagreeing with?

The story I told happens to be factual

If you are disagreeing because you have had a good experience with your own HOA, please tell your story

I heard many of the clothesline retrictions may face challenges

It was challenged…and LOST. Maybe they would win if they took it to the US Supreme Court. I don’t see a problem with these restrictions…You know what they are BEFORE you buy…so…if you don’t like them…then don’t buy…That’s what I did.

@db4690

You are right, I have no basis to disagree with you. I blame it on the smartphone that I am viewing this page with.

Mike, I don’t know where you get your information from but many states are now enacting laws that limit community association rules that fly in the face of energy savings. Here’s an excerpt from a florida state law as one example:

"LIMITATIONS IT IMPOSES ON COMMUNITY ASSOCIATIONS:

The law, as now written, places the following limitations on community associations:

(2) No deed restrictions, covenants, or similar binding agreements running with the land shall prohibit or have the effect of prohibiting solar collectors, clotheslines, or other energy devices based on renewable resources from being installed on buildings erected on the lots or parcels covered by the deed restrictions, covenants, or binding agreements. A property owner may not be denied permission to install solar collectors or other energy devices based on renewable resources by any entity granted the power or right in any deed restriction, covenant, or similar binding agreement to approve, forbid, control, or direct alteration of property with respect to residential dwellings not exceeding three stories in height. For purposes of this of this subsection, such entity may determine the specific location where solar collectors may be installed on the roof within an orientation to the south or within 45 degrees east or west of due south provided that such determination does not impair the effective operation of the solar collectors. (Emphasis added.)"

It’s your choice if you decide that you don’t want to challenge something and choose to live elsewhere. Not everyone feels this way. Perhaps it is the only restriction someone has disagreement with but everything else is acceptable. Also consider that the complexion of the neighborhood changes over time. What was once deemed unacceptable by the majority of original owners may not hold true 20 years later as the population ages and there is turnover. Finally, not all of these are governed by HOAs. Restrictive covenants can be put in place by towns, imposed upon builders of new developments. I currently live in the latter situation. After 30 years, the covenant is expired but the owners may then form an HOA to govern the community.

Mike, I don't know where you get your information from but many states are now enacting laws that limit community association rules that fly in the face of energy savings. Here's an excerpt from a florida state law as one example:

Is that FEDERAL law…or just your state law?? The covenants I sited earlier were challenged in NH just a couple of years ago. Sate law allows it…so maybe federal law overrides it.

It's your choice if you decide that you don't want to challenge something and choose to live elsewhere. Not everyone feels this way.

Then let them pay the THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS it’ll take to fight it. The area I live in has certain restrictions also (just not as bad). No un-registered vehicles on property for more then 60 days. No construction equipment or tractor trailers parked over-night unless they are being used on that property for construction. No above ground pools. I can live with these restrictions.

Last summer someone had a local company install an above ground swimming pool. The committee that runs the covenant had him remove it.

You don’t want to live in a place with certain restrictions…fine…don’t buy a house there. Who’s stopping you??

The states have jurisdiction over these things. As I said in the prior post, it’s referencing a Florida state law.

Again, not everyone who has restrictive covenants on their property is governed by an HOA or committee. Some are imposed by the community and enforcement is dependent on each parties willingness or ability to fight for their side. Also, some rules don’t make sense long term. Who gives a rip if you hang your laundry in the back yard out of sight?

I would ask the same thing about an above ground pool. If it’s behind the house, out of sight, why should you care? I believe these restrictions are enacted to preempt situations like the inflatable temporary pools (Intex) that people might erect in the front yard or in plain view of the neighbors. But if it’s in your back yard, what is so obnoxious about a quality above ground pool versus an inground or a large deck for that matter?

These arrangements are great for busy bodies who want to exercise control and poke their noses into everyone else’s business. Nobody wants to live with a slob next door but this goes way too far.

Your last sentence makes no sense. Obviously, the overtly restrictive covenants are stopping me from buying there. Some of them I may want to violate as it is something I prefer to do and they really do not infringe on anyone else with the exception of people who feel compelled to control every aspect of the area in which they live.

BTW- I just moved to a restrictive covenant area in seacost NH. I plan to violate several of the restrictions straight away. Since there is no active HOA, I doubt there will be any fallout.

These arrangements are great for busy bodies who want to exercise control and poke their noses into everyone else's business.

A good portion of these to keep property values up.

. No construction equipment left on your property. - There was an owner who owned a construction company and he would keep his equipment on his property. Not very sightly.

. No unregistered vehicles left on property for more then 60 days. I had a neighbor once that had 6-10 unregistered pickups at any give time in his back yard.

Swimming pools - I could care less. Clothes line - We have one…that’s why we didn’t buy that place in Windham.

Some of them I may want to violate as it is something I prefer to do and they really do not infringe on anyone else with the exception of people who feel compelled to control every aspect of the area in which they live.

I’m sure that’s part of the reason. But most from what I’ve seen is for property values. I couldn’t understand the one for above ground swimming pools.

Be careful about what you want to violate. Just because there isn’t an active HOA now…doesn’t mean there won’t be one in the future. And it could cost you a few thousand defending yourself from a lawsuit.

@chunkyazian

ok

Boy am I glad I don’t live in an HOA neighborhood. And I don’t think there’s any in this small town.
They would sure have hell keeping up in this mixed up, multi-ethnic, various social status town of mexican, muslim, white, Navajo, Zuni, black, Asian, Filipino, …you-name-it and mixture of all and any.
Even hoping to get any dozen homes in a row to look and act the same is a far stretching dream.

I don’t think the feds are able legally to limit real estate rights in states YET although I’m sure some would love to for the benefit of the many as they put it.

I personally don’t like them and would have a hard time paying monthly dues on my own property, but some perform legitimate services. Some that I know of take care of exterior issues like grass cutting, snow removal, roofs, drainage issues, painting, and so on. Makes it nice for people that want to leave for a while on trips or in the winter. Others get pretty silly in their regulation of how one uses their property. You just have to remember if you give some people power over someone else, they can come up with all sorts of ways they want people to conform. Should be very limited to the common defense and services in my view.

I looked in Windham but the drive was too far for me. They’re stapling up mansions in those clustered developments left and right.

Funny part about where I am now, homes across street are not restricted by covenant. Was concerned about one guy that has all kinds of big construction equipment. Turns out they are his personal toys. He has similar lot to mine 10+ acres so no big deal to me.

Having met all the current neighbors I don’t think there will be any problems now. Set back 1/4 mile off road and can’t see any other homes except in winter. But you’re right could always be battle later. I’m prepared…