Woman's 2016 RX350 not started in 6+ weeks!

Should (can?) I manually turn thengine many times using my big ratchet wrench?
Mobil1 0W-20 full synthetic oil is clean and halfway between the dipstick lines.
There is room for more I plan to pour in the filler cap to get some oil athe top of thengine.

Have already charged her battery - in case it was low.

Anything else I shouldo?

The instanthengine starts, I plan to place in Reverse so it does not rev.
Will use idle to back her car out of the garage.

Thank you

For crying out loud Robert . Just start the vehicle , let it reduce the idle on its own and find something else to worry about .

12 Likes

Six weeks is no big deal, other than the battery issue. I’m afraid you’re overreacting on the rest.

5 Likes

+1
If it doesn’t start on its own, then you can try some alternative methods–such as turning it with a wrench–prior to “jumping” it, but… Why would you not first attempt to start the engine in a conventional manner?

:roll_eyes:

3 Likes

Just worried thathe oil film is gone and she will incur more metal to metal wear.
If I manually turher engine over, oil will be pumped up and coat more surfaces.

It should start right up, especially wither battery charged overnight.

Thank you.

The oil film is still there. Just start the thing already. These cars sit in shipping lots longer than 6 weeks!

7 Likes

Otay! Was not looking forward to hand cranking thengine.

Thank you, all.

Thistems fromy great uncle telling me as a little boy how important it was to lubricate his huge 4-8-4 freight locomotivevery 200 miles.

2 Likes

Probably a good thing Lexus doesn’t put steam engines into its cars. :wink:

3 Likes

This is the same person who wanted to push his vehicle out of the garage instead of starting it . I guess he was going to push it back in when he was done doing something in the garage . Along with a bunch of other goofy ideas.

If worried about starting a car that’s sat for a long, long time, an easy way to get the oil flowing and coating surfaces is to disable the ignition and let the starter turn over the engine for a while - maybe 10 seconds or a few times. Then enable the ignition and let it start and run.

What’s a long long time? Maybe 6 months or a year? Opinions vary and there’s not much factual information about this phenomenon.

2 Likes

Can you? I guess. Should you? No, it’s not necessary in the least. I don’t know why you even consider it.

There is no need for that. Even if you did, you’d only be getting oil to one bank of cylinders

Okay

Just start the damn engine. Sitting for a month and a half isn’t going to hurt anything. There are plenty of people with cars that only come out in the spring and summer and sit for 6+ months every year. These cars are started up after 6 months without overblown preparation (basically you charge the battery) and that’s it.

But what about getting cat lightoff as soon as humanly possible? [/sarcasm]

I’m sure I won’t be the only person to mention this, but you’re ridiculously over-analyzing what amounts to starting a car.

5 Likes

As a registered tree-hugger and Greenie, rather than start a cold engine and generate uncatalized exhaust, I still get a littlexercise and push the vehicle outside!
Then push back in if we will not be driving somewhere.

Wife say “You strong as ox and twice as smart!”

3 Likes

Thought hand-cranking will not inject fuel into the cylinders.

My wife looks at me when I do something dumb and says “strong like bull, brain like tsetse fly”.

2 Likes

True, nor will it pump more than a smidgen of oil before you’re worn out.

2 Likes

There isn’t a man (or woman) alive that can hand crank an engine fast or long enough to build oil pressure in a modern day engine.

6 weeks isn’t long at all. Just turn the key and start it.

3 Likes

Totally agree with the others - just start the car.

If you’re really worried, you can disconnect the spark plug wires and crank the engine to get the oil flowing. You could even take the spark plugs out and put a few drops of oil in each cylinder.

some expensive engine and turbine systems have pre-oiling pumps to supply oil pressure to the lube system before the engine is turned over to get them started. these systems to provide long useful life of engines are not installed in the general automotive manufactures. They are not designed for maximum engine life; so just start it up and let in wear do its wear out thing until it gets oil circulating.

I used to be very careful about small engines like the one on my mower. Before I put it away, I would change the oil, put in a new air filter, add fuel stabilizer to the gasoline, remove the spark plug, put a teaspoon down the cylinder, put in a new spark plug and be ready for the next season. Last fall, I was mulching leaves until the snow fell. When I was finished, I pushed the mower into the shed. This spring, the grass got ahead of me. I pulled the cord and the mower fired up on the 3rd pull and I was off and mowing. I did service the mower after I was finished. The mower is 28 years old. I don’t think I put undue wear on the cylinder walls.
On the cars I owned that were from the late 1940s through the mid 1950s, the oil pressure gauges were mechanical. These gauges would start to rise showing oil pressure while the starter motor was cranking the engine before the engine fired up. Many cars today don’t have an oil pressure gauge, but I am certain that the oil pump is supplying a little oil pressure.while the engine is being turned over by the starter motor.

I like that one :slight_smile: