Place Lexus in NEUTRAL and push out of the garage WITHOUT STARTING?

Thank you, Ob. The manual is in her car which is at work. I’ll read.
Not yet using the famous flood-lamps-under-Expedititon heating.
Called at 00:11 this morning. Engine warmed enough before I got to the highway.
“Get the platelets here as soon as humanly possible.” should have eliminated my doing the transport.

Robert:
I am curious.
Can you explain your aversion to simply starting the car and backing it out of the garage?

Can you explain your aversion to simply starting the car and backing it out of the garage?
Backing out would be too easy! Four reasons: 1. Avoid needlessly starting an engine. Oil is in the pan. 2. Clothes are usually hanging in the tandem garage. The SUV is parked forward. Un-catalyzed exhaust accumulates as the SUV must back a car-length to get out. 3. The cold engine does not even get warm before shutting off. 4. Avoid creating air pollution. (I'm a GREEN tree-hugger.) If I can get a little free exercise while preventing the above, all the better!

Then why even ask a ‘‘question’’ as if to collect data and opinions ?
As usual , Roberts mind is already made up before typing one letter…then he argues us to death as to change OUR minds.
he does this almost every time.
WHY ask a question if you have no intention of realizing there is another way or ways to solve the issue ?

WHY ask a question if you have no intention of realizing there is another way or ways to solve the issue ?
Asking how to get the Lexus into Neutral without starting the engine -so I can do all of the above.

@RobertGift

" . . . Avoid creating air pollution. (I’m a GREEN tree-hugger.)

If that is the case, why do you even own an automobile?

If that is the case, it seems to me you should consider getting a job where you can walk to work.
That way, you’re not creating air pollution, and you’re getting “a little free exercise”

Guys, this is NOT off-topic. This is a direct response to comments that @RobertGift made

you should consider getting a job where you can walk to work
Good point! Whenever possible, I ride a bicycle to work, to grocery, and Wal-mart. (If I could, I'd ride it to my own funeral but there won't be a funeral.) I also dispatch Highclimbers Tree Service from cell phone and home. Wife must drive her Lexus. Too far to work and busses are impractical.
I never understand that, no matter how often I see it. People will have $5000 worth of "stuff" in the garage and a $30,000 car sitting outside. My neighborhood is full of 3 car-garages so full of crap you can only get one car inside. Put the cars in the garage where they belong, if you have more stuff than can fit in there as well put a shed in the backyard.

Awhile back I drove through an “upper class” area of town and seen a house with 2 3-car garages and they still had 3 vehicles sitting outside.

Is it odd that, when driving around and seeing these monster homes(2~3 story, 5k+ square foot) being built, the only thing I can think of is “man am I glad I don’t have to pay taxes/utilities on that place”?

I’ll sell you an extra dehumidifier you should have for the basement anyway, then you can dry the clothes in the basement and have the garage serve it’s full purpose. My basement was set up this way by the previous owners who had the house from 1926.

I'll sell you an extra dehumidifier
Likely co$ts more to operate than the clothes dryer. The basement door is distant from the laundry room and more difficult to carry the clothes down and up the stairs.

I am not sure the dehumidifier cost, but I think less than a dryer. Go bohemian and dry them in the back yard, if they freeze just beat the ice crystals out and they will be dry. The cost for a dehumidifier needed in summertime will be less cost than dealing with mold issues.

Or tie all the clothes to the roof rack of your Expedition during a 100mph blood delivery :slight_smile:

Just an asside that indirectly applies to Robeers dilemma, but…garages beg to be used as storage for boats, which need tarping and cars don’t, lawn and garden machinery, which rust when out side and a plethora of other toys which make your yard look like a junk yard when left outside. A car parked outside, is a statement of your status. I was not joking when I indicated garages are really not the best places for cars. Cars are designed to be outside in the worse weather and are more weather tight then a house. Cars are traded in well before the rust by most original owners and cars spew toxins that kill in confined areas.

The Canadians have it right and I was inclined to agree enough to follow suit. If you want your car under cover, build a car port you can use for your cars, parties and cloths hanging with lots of overhead storage. I built one ( had it built) and all the boats and toys go inside the garage and the cars are still under cover under one of the most useful structures ever designed…this humble carport. Use the garage for repairs and long term storage, fine. Then move it out when repaired. That’s how we use ours.

Your neighborhood regs may not allow it…but build one if you can Robert. Your cars finish and your lungs will appreciate it. In all reality, cars other then antiques, don’t deserve garages. There is nothing a car port can’t do as well for your car then an unheated garage…fewer dents too !

So, yes @acemaster, I feel your $30k car is better equipped to handle the out of doors then $5 k of junk, including golf gear. That’s one reason it costs $30k. ;=) Besides, due to depreciation, my two 10 year old cars are now worth much less then the junk in the garage.

I have got to learn not to be the last poster on a page, but I think your suggestion could work depending on the length of the clothesline and proximity of 18 wheelers of course.

“I’ve got to learn how not to be the last poster on a page…” @Barkydog
Don’t knock it. That skill comes in real handy on EBay.

The cost for a dehumidifier needed in summertime will be less cost than dealing with mold issues.
We are naturally dry. Plus, the garage doors leak fresh dry air inside. I planned a clothesline but our HOA will fine us if we dry outside. My wife, from China, had never seen a clothes dryer. They use rods outside their apartment windows.
Or tie all the clothes to the roof rack of your Expedition during a 100mph blood delivery:)
Wind drag will use more expen$ive fuel. And I hate removing bug splatter from clean clothing.

Put up a clothesline and dare them to enforce it. I knew a couple of people with restrictive covenants, one was you were not allowed to mow lawns after 5 o’clock or on weekends, the other was you were required to put up Christmas lights. Time to move?

@Barkydog

“not allowed to mow lawns after 5 o’clock or on weekends . . .”

What if you work M-F 9-5, as many people do?

That would mean you had to let the grass and weeds grow tall . . . and they’ll fine you, correct?

Your neighborhood regs may not allow it...but build one if you can...
Not allowed. No room. Surprised I have not received a warning letter for changing oil while lying in the gutter. (I am quick about it.) Missed buying ramps at a garage sale by minutes. Imagine changing oil in a garage with light, no flowing water, and temperatures above 40°F!