Engine swap - 2006 Chrysler Town & Country

I am buying a 2006 Chrysler town and country touring but it has a blown rod but I also have the same van color and everything hit a deer in it but the engine is good how much would it cost to put the my engine in the one I’m buying?

Only the person actually doing the swap can answer that for you. My labor guide shows 8.5 hours for remove and replace. Common labor rate here in southern NJ is $104.00 per hour, so that’s at least $884.

In this case they have to remove 2 engines.

And while the engine is out would be a good time to do the timing belt, water pump, new belts and hoses, spark plugs and wires, and any thing else that is hard to get to before the engine is installed.

I can see it easily being $2000

2 Likes

I agree plus he will have to pay someone to tow the engineless vehicle to the scrapyard.

Skip the timing belt part. Both available engines use timing chains.

1 Like

One more thing - getting the engine out of the crashed van may not be easy, extra $$$.

2 Likes

but they only have to reinstall one, lol

Doing a swap like this can be done cheap- take one out, install the other, or it can be done well. This vehicle is 13 years old, and some normal maintenance could probably need to be done- spark plugs, wires, belt, hoses, flush all fluids & necessary filters, sensors (water, oil, temp, etc,)
This would be a great time to get all that kind of stuff done- but will add to the cost.

Shop around local and see what you can find out. Either way you go, I would probably recommend a mechanic with a shop, as opposed to a backyard mechanic, and someone that has a good reputation and wants to keep it that way.

I would not swap am engine into anything except a demolition derby car without also replacing the rear main seal of the engine and the front seal of the transmission. I would also keep the old transmission and Torque converter.
Why would he have to pay to get the wrecked van towed to the junkyard. They don’t care if the engine is under the hood or in the van, all they care about is the weight of the metal.

If it was me, it would be an opportunity to buy an inexpensive engine hoist. I have done swaps before but am too old to push vehicles up and down my driveway to a chain fall over my garage header.

I wonder if the cost to repair the deer crash damage has been estimated against the cost of this engine exchange and the other unforeseen costs.

exactly! swapping out the (front?) collision damaged parts might be much easier (and cheaper) than swapping engines

I think these minivan engines may have to come out the bottom, I’m not sure, I never pulled one.

They are supposed to come out the bottom but I watched a guy on utube take one out the top because as he said it “You don’t want to be trying to take those subframe out here in NY”

The procedure was quite involved and he had to take the water pump out before trying to remove the engine.