1996 town and country van

AFTER DRIVING THIS VAN ON THE HWY FOR 30 MILES OR SO I HAVE HAD PROBLEMS AFTER I COME TO A STOP, AS SOON AS I JUST ABOUT STOP ALL TOGETHER THIS VAN STARTS TO DIE AND GETS REAL JUMPY, LIKE A STICK SHIFT CAR WOULD IF YOU LET THE CLUTCH OUT TO QUICKLY WITHOUT THE PROPPER FUEL. IT HAS BEEN INT. UNTIL TODAY WHEN I GOT OFF THE INTERSTATE AND STOPPED IT DIED AND WHEN I STARTED IT BACK UP ONLY PARK AND NUETRAL WOULD KEEP THE ENGINE RUNNING. SO I STARTED IT AND IDLED UP AND SLAMMED IT INTO DRIVE AND IT GOT ME HOME BUT I COULD NOT GET IT TO CORRECT ITSELF UNTIL I PUT ON THE BRAKES, PARKING AND EMERGENCY, IDLED TO ABOUT 2500 RPM PUT IT IN DRIVE AND WHEN I DID I HEARD A GRINDING NOISE THAT LASTED ABOUT 30 SEC. AND WENT AWAY. NOW I CAN DRIVE THE VAN. ANY IDEAS FOR ME? I THINK MAYBE I WILL CHANGE BACK TO MANUAL TRANSMISSIONS…

I think the solenoid that locks up your torque convertor when you are in cruise mode has shot craps. It’s keeping the TC locked up when you stop instead of allowing it to slip like it should. Yup, it’s just like stopping with the clutch still engaged. It’s fairly common. At that point your tranny didn’t need an overhaul. Hopefully you haven’t damaged your transmission further by that last stunt. IIRC, the solenoid runs close to $200 wholesale. Installation should be about a two hour job. All you need now is a reputable transmission shop.

I would guess that MG is correct, but frankly I could not read your message. ALL CAPS are very difficult to read. All Bold just adds to the problem.