2011 Dodge Durango - Wheel bearings? Whirring

2011 dodge durango awd 3.6 only had it a year / half purchased during a car shortage, after my jeep blew up ! , dont drive much , really dont like this durango, maybe put a few hundred miles on it , mr durango has a total of 154000 … the problems are flex fuel or unleaded? ALSO the problem this week is : turn left i have a noise by the wheel , a light metal sound ??? whiring sound ??? i am thinking wheel bearings ???

Could be a wheel bearing, or could be a faulty CV joint, if that particular wheel uses a CV joint. I have no Durango experience, so don’t know if it even uses CV joints. If you can see a rubber boot covering a shaft going to the center of the wheel, there’s likely a CV joint on that wheel. Most common symptoms, faulty CV joints tend to make a clicking sound when turning at slow speed. Faulty wheel bearings make a roaring or growling noise, louder the faster you go. Also suggest to take a look at the tire tread, as some tread wear patterns can make unusual noises.

Thanks for your reply

1 Like

Could also be the brake squealer rubbing the brake rotor letting you know you need brakes…

The front cv axle (4WD/AWD only on a Durango, so if RWD this does not apply) will click when turning tight, like into a parking spot when it is going bad…

A front wheel/hub bearing will normally make more noise when loading the bearing by slightly turning, like a curve on the interstate etc but can/will make less noise when unloading it, like turning the other way… If turning right makes more noise, then it is normally your left wheel bearing/hub bearing, if turning left makes more noise then normally your right bearing is going bad… You can have a bad hub bearing going bad and not be loose…

thank you very much, for the info, appreciate it!
will definitely get the brakes check!! ! probably just replace them, couldn’t HURT, right?

Your welcome and welcome to the forum…

Can’t hurt, but I wouldn’t waste the money if not needed/required, meaning if still in great shape no need…

1 Like

Thanks for the welcome…
Going to see the mechanic early next week, he’s booked up this week, he thinks it’s the bearing, idk… I hate spending all this money on car repairs brake pads are a bit cheaper than Mopar bearings!

Does it state flex fuel? My truck is flex fuel, but I still only use 10% ethanol or less.

+1
Flex fuel just means you have the ability (choice) to run either E85 or your normal 87/89/93 (my area anyway)… E85 is not really worth it as you will generally get 15%-27% fewer miles per gallon… So the savings you get at the pump is offset buy the decrease in fuel economy…

You don’t need a dealer bearing, A good Moog or Napa’s top of the lines should be $150 - $200 cost plus the shops mark up… (I don’t know the cost of a dealer bearing)…

I can purchase a Mopar wheel bearing for $145 for one…

1 Like

Was using flex fuel but we just recently switched, to regular unleaded Mr Durango , better known as the dingo warrior or the silver bullet LOL,seems to be running okay, well with the exception of this noise from behind the driver’s wheel when you make a sharp left turn!

Yes Durango’s have CV joints

Yeah on a naturally aspirated engine (NA or N/A) running E85 does not give you more power, and should run basically the same no matter which one you use…
Not a bad price on the Mopar bearing, just make sure it is a hub assembly if needed…

You can sometimes detect a bad wheel bearing by raising the tire off the ground and placing your hand on the strut spring while rotating the tire.

The roughness of the bearing gets transferred into the strut spring where it can be felt.

Tester

2 Likes

Hey guys, still dealing with mr Durango… Had it to the mechanic twice… He said nothing wrong with it…so? My husband and I took a short drive to the bank and the “'”‘NOISE’“'” was horrendous !!!
Pulled into jiffy lube, closest place , they said it was the right wheel bearing … This really makes sense because turning left we would get the horrendous noise at first it sounded like it was coming from the left , but as we are heading toward jiffy lube it was all coming definitely from the right front wheel, no doubt about it!
I ordered new wheel hub bearings, rotors and brakes, from Detroit axcel …I hope they fit and these parts fix this issue!
We are letting “ANOTHER” mechanic do the work,not sure now about our regular mechanic…

Thanks for posting back with an update. I expect you are on the right track there. From reports here, it can be nearly impossible to detect a faulty wheel bearing in the shop. No noise, no play during shop tests. The only way to know in these cases is to bite the bullet & replace a suspect wheel bearing. If that makes the noise go away, then you know the bearing was the problem.

You are welcome to review prior posts here about wheel bearings, forum search link, upper right, this page.

Yeah it sounds like your mechanic is very incompetent and or just lazy…

Good, I hope this one comes highly rated from word of mouth…

From what you have described, you have a bad right wheel bearing…

Good luck and keep us posted please…

1 Like

The only comment I have, in the future, let the shop order the parts. Then they will be responsible for ordering the correct parts and dealing with any warranty issues.

3 Likes

OK GUYS; , WE TOOK OUR DURANGO 2011 AWD CREW (MR Durango) TO THE SHOP WITH THE NEW PART IN THE CARGO AREA, I ORDERED THEM FROM DETROIT AXEL, THEY HAVE A 10 YEAR WARRANTY ON THEM, I WONT BUY PART FROM THE LOCAL AUTO PARTS STORE HERE, THEY ARE JUNK!! THEY REPLACED THE ROTORS, BRAKES, AND HARDWARE, HUB/BEARINGS … THE SHOP CALLS US ABOUT 4 HOURS AFTER HAVING THE CAR HUALED OVER THERE, THE mechanic SAYS THE DODGE HAS AN ISSUE … THE CALIPER IS BAD, IT’S BEEN RUNNING HOT I THINK HE SAID … whaaaaat ? NO NO NO , MORE MONEY AND HE WANTS TO GET A NEW ONE FROM ''THE LOCAL PARTS STORE!!!
WELL, I RELUTIENTLY SAID OK … DAY AND A HALF, HE GOT IT FIXED, I HOPE …NO NOISE, BUT??? THE ENGINE LIGHT IS ON …WHO KNOWS WHY …I DID READ SOMEWHERE THIS CAN HAPPEN …IDK THANKS FOR LISTENING