2010 Ford Edge - Wrong fuel

My son just put $20 diesel gas on his gas car. What and How can we repair this?

Good Grief , another one . Don’t start it , have it towed to a shop so the tank can be drained and the fuel lines cleared . How did he do this anyway because I know in this area a diesel nozzle will not fit in my gas fuel fill opening.

4 Likes

With all the post’s we are seeing about this tell’s me people are to distracted or have no sense of smell.

Just push the wrong button.

Tester

1 Like

What is “REC90”? And isn’t diesel always a dedicated nozzle (usually colored green) anyways?

1 Like

We finished scuba lessons, one part of the training was to smell the gas coming out of the tank before connecting, do you sniff the nozzle before refueling? A sad incident, but I can see how it would happen. How much diesel was put in?

1 Like

REC90 = non ethanol gas with an octane rating of 90, used in older recreation vehicles that can’t tolerate gasoline that contains ethanol.

Tester

Or ones that can but prefer to have longer life stability like for my boat and lawnmower, a little sea foam and the gas is good the next year, actually using 2 year old gas in the lawnmower at the cabins and life is good.

As a retired truck driver I got to where I don’t hardly smell diesel any more but I smell gas good so if I don’t smell gas while I am filling up I know something is wrong. I would think people not used to diesel would be just the other way.

You are one in a million, probably check your oil, trans fluid and tire pressure on a regular basis also, ok maybe 1 in 100.

1 Like

You still have to pick up the green handled pump and hit the diesel button.

4 Likes

Kids!

Tester

1 Like

That is true and some people will make that mistake. I find it a bit unsettling that the nozzle for diesel fuel is green and the display for regular unleaded is green. The display for the diesel button is yellow, and if the vehicle is flex fuel the gas cap may also be yellow.

Fuel types are simple for gear heads but the inconsistency in the industry can create problems for your mother or grandmother.

2 Likes

As I said before about being distracted every time I get gas I see people using smart phone’s while they a getting gas looking at the phone instead of the pump.

Every diesel pump I have seen in the last 20 years has a nozzle that is too large to fit a gas filler neck. The one tester showed looked like it had a small nozzle. Why have a small nozzle on a dedicated pump?

I was in Grand Junction Colorado getting gas at a huge station that has different islands for gas and diesel and at my island there was the largest U-haul they rent with a power liftgate on it. The driver was on his cell phone with the rental company telling them that the truck had just shut off and would not restart.

I asked my wife to quickly get back in the car. She asked why as we were pulling out and I told her it was I couldn’t bear to watch when the driver found out he had filled a diesel truck with gasoline.

1 Like

Those large high-flow nozzles for commercial trucks aren’t used on the pumps for passenger vehicles, they probably wouldn’t work well with the fuel tank fill pipes that are 3 feet long and mostly horizontal. The gasoline nozzles are 7/8" and the diesel is 15/16", the diesel nozzle can be forced into a gasoline vehicle.

I have never seen those before. Will the diesel nozzle fit?

Our local station did the same. The truck pulled up and dumped diesel in the unleaded, and visa versa. There were over 40 (some reported 100) cars filled before anyone caught on. They were reporting about the gas cars. I wondered about the diesel PU’s.

Yes, Volvo_V70 has it correct. I’ve heard you do so immediately.

This is a nice article… from the man himself.

1 Like

Not gonna lie, I’m a little envious of your gas prices right now @Tester! Although ours (south Central PA) is back down to $2.81-$2.84 this morning on my ride in to work today (god PA’s gas and diesel taxes suck!)

In the photo the 87 regular button is green! What idiot designed that!

2 Likes