Is this how diesel gets into a gas tank?

Dumb045

2 Likes

makes you wonder if the car belongs to a very recent ex-boyfriend…

2 Likes

Well you don’t want to risk causing a spark when the nozzle touches the car.

so recent he doesn’t yet know his status is now “ex” . . . ?! :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

That’s what one of the posters here said they did to get diesel into their gas tank. I guess some cars don’t have that little flap just inside the filler hole that would prevent this sort of “open air” fill-method.

1 Like

A former coworker accidentally filled his diesel truck up with regular gas at a BP station because he mistook the green nozzle handle as a diesel pump like it is at every other station. He was not happy!

I’m really glad the only BP station close to me is in another county…I don’t like how much I feel the need to double check my pumps filling up at them when we’re on vacation. And I can imagine your friend was upset, it’s worse to put gasoline in a diesel engine than it is to put diesel in a gasoline engine

You still have to push the button that is labeled DIESEL. If you push 87 octane, the diesel nozzle isn’t going to pump anything.

3 Likes

Actually I feel the same way about Kwik Trip with their new labeling of the gas pumps. You have to study the pumps and read the little labels to make sure you don’t get 85% ethanol. So I don’t stop there anymore when traveling. I also have long avoided BP since reports of clogged fuel systems-fairly or unfairly, I heard it more than once. Who wants to be 500 miles from home with a clogged fuel system?

This is the part that confuses me. I can see accidentally grabbing the wrong handle. I can’t see pushing some random button without actually reading the label on it on top of that.

1 Like

Well like I said, if you drive around to other states and stop at unfamiliar stations, it can be very confusing even for us that know what to look for. Often there are several nozzles and multiple buttons to push and sometimes the colors yellow, green, black are not standard. No problem with my local station. One nozzle with three choices of gas grade. Diesel is on a separate island, and 85% ethanol is not an option. Drive around the country a little bit to see what I mean.

Still, a simple matter of reading. Yes, when getting gas in Georgia the pump handle colors were reversed from what I normally see in Florida. Pushing the right button gets you the right product.

2 Likes

After filling up at a gas station last night that offers E10 in 87-89-91, E15 88, E85, and Diesel, I can see how you could mistake it. This one is new enough that E10 blends are black, E15 Blue, E85 Yellow, Diesel Green, but I’ve seen older stations in the same chain where this isn’t true. If you pick up the nozzle first, the fuel that dispenses out of that one lights up prompting you to pick it. If the diesel had a black head, I could absolutely see people popping it in, then hitting the only lit up button (for diesel) and putting diesel into their car

A couple years ago the wife was heading to the cabin and stopped for gas at the Coop station 150 miles away. Then she called and said she had filled the tank with ethanol free and didn’t know if that was a problem or not. I said the car will love it drive on. Wife is a PhD and not exactly stupid but even in Minnesota where everyone is above average, these pump labels are becoming a problem.

I can. If you’re use to only pumping gas on a pump that doesn’t have diesel…then you may just select the button on the far left without ever reading it. Now first time using a pump that has a diesel handle…grab wrong handle and press the button on the far left.

Re the image at the top: I thought the lady was just cleaning off road tar. :rofl:

Is that not gasoline with smaller nozzle pipe?
Also is that nothew [not the new] nozzle withe plastic collar which must be pushed againsthe vehicle filler area to dispense fuel?

those plastic/rubber socks (or whatever they’re called) aren’t required everywhere. They aren’t at any gas stations within a 20 mile radius of me that I know of

We did have them for several years, but after the air quality in Central NJ improved, the stations were given permission to remove them.

The air quality in Lancaster County is quite poor most of the time (geography doesn’t help us here, and neither do the farms), I’m surprised quite honestly that we don’t have them