2007 Toyota Camry dash is melting and sticky

I just bought my Camary last month, it has 155k excellent contention, smooth running. But… my dash is melting and sticky. If you nail touches it oh well. From what I’ve read the recall has ended. I ask the previous owner if they had gotten any recalls for the car, Never gotten one. Is there anything I can do? Everything I’ve found reads that recall has expired. Doesn’t seem right. Why did they not receive a letter? Previous owners were elderly so the car didn’t require alot of inside cleaning, nonsmokers. So they probably never touched the dash often
On top of that the visitor on drivers side will not stay up. It to had a recall. Which they never recieved.
Please if anyone could point me I. The right direction the lord will see that you are rewarded for you kindness.
L.D

Welcome to Car Talk! :vulcan_salute:

Enter your VIN here:

It wasn’t a recall . . . I believe it was a warranty enhancement program

Recalls are for safety-related items

A sticky dash isn’t safety-related

here it is

But it’s over

LONG over, in your case

And now the lord will reward me for my kindness :smile_cat:

:2nd_place_medal: :2nd_place_medal: :2nd_place_medal: :2nd_place_medal: :2nd_place_medal: :2nd_place_medal: :2nd_place_medal: :2nd_place_medal: :2nd_place_medal: :2nd_place_medal:
your reward

1 Like

There are 11 recalls on the 2007 Camry. I suggest you contact either Toyota or a dealer, give them your VIN, and see if any of them were done. Were the people you bought the car from the original owners? If not, Toyota may not have known their address, and may not have sent them recall notices. Anyway, your problems are not a month the 11. Some seem serious, like the air bag recall. You should find out ASAP if any recall fixes were made.

As for the sticky dash, you could replace it or put a cover on it. A cover is a lot less expensive. A cover could be a fabric, or maybe a wrap. See if any shops wrap cars in your area. Call one and ask if the would wrap your dash. Off beat idea, but someone might do it. Do a web search for dashboard covers and see if anything appeals to you. The visor can be replaced with a used one from a junk yard. Check around and see if a junk yard near you has any. You might also find them on line, but you can’t see them before you buy them on line.

Or, they ignored it, as apparently over 40% of car owners do. Why would anyone ignore a notification for free repairs of a safety issue? I can’t answer that question.

In any event, sticky dashboards are–luckily–not a safety issue.
As to the sagging visor, that can be remedied with Velcro, as I did with my friend’s Rav-4.

We have a 2010 Camry that developed the sticky dashboard condition about 2 years ago. After contacting Toyota on a number of occasions we found out that they supposedly notified customers of the sticky problem some number of years ago, and I said we never received any notification. After a number of calls to their customer service we determined that Toyota is not going to fix the problem. We are going to fix the problem by buying a new car from another manufacturer, and never purchase any Toyota products in the future. When I said to them that we have purchased 5 Toyotas over the last 40 years, and they had no sense of customer loyalty, they just ignored my comments. Solution to all Toyota problems ----- DO NOT BUY TOYOTA PRODUCTS ANYMORE.

I certainly understand that frustration, however a sticky dash (again, a purely cosmetic issue) would not be a reason for me personally to exclude a brand. Now, avoiding Nissan CVTs, head gasket prone Subarus, Chrysler in general (after all of the issues I had with my old T&C minivan…) I can understand! (and please note, other than Chrysler, I’m not completely shunning entire brands!)

Many years ago we received a recall notice for my wife’s car. It was a Ford product and there was a recall for updated brake light switch wiring. We were asked to bring the car in, drop it off for a day, and have the repairs done free of charge. I found it much easier to buy the replacement part myself for $12 and spend 8 minutes installing it.

I’m a mechanic, so that was a no-brainer for me but that’s just one reason a recall isn’t done. I work at an independent shop and whenever we check in an incoming car we look to see if there are any outstanding recalls on the car. If so, we print out the info and recommend to the customer they bring the car to the dealer for the recall. Half the people just ignore it. Don’t know why.

I’m surprised at the number of people here who expect free repairs of a cosmetic (non-safety, non-mechanical) nature to a 10-13 year old car. Any warranty has long run out on these cars, it’s not an issue that affects the safety or driveability of the car.

Toyota and Lexus have generously extended warranty coverage of the issue, within a specific timeframe, and made reasonable efforts to notify all owners. It’s certainly not the dealer’s or Toyota’s fault if the car was not returned in time for the repair. Recalls, campaigns, and service bulletins are published regularly and available to every shop and service center out there.

I fear your decision may result in disappointment.

3 Likes

I’m not familiar with your specific sun visor, but visors on Honda Civics of that vintage would split along the top edge, allowing internal detent springs to spread and the visor to flop. The solution is to catch the problem early and hold things together with a pair of screws with low profile heads - one source is “Hillman Threaded Post with Screw Aluminum”, 5/8inch length, and they may be known by other names. There are several on-line videos detailing the procedure, search for things like “Honda Visor Repair”, and see if the design is similar to yours. I’ve repaired a few and on replacement visors install these screws proactively.

As others have advised, a dash cover may be your best bet. It wasn’t just Toyota, Subaru’s of about your vintage had the sticky dash problem as well.

I wonder if some aftermarket manufacturers have a kit to cover the sticky part of the dashboard. I have used aftermarket kits for cosmetic problems. My 1978 Oldsmobile Cutlass came down with the drooping headliner syndrome. J.C. Whitney had a roof bow kit. Not only did it hold the headliner up, but I thought it gave the car the appearance of a more expensive car that had exposed roof bows from the factory. Ford, in its great cost cutting wisdom, omitted the glove compartment on the Ford Maverick. J.C. Whitney had a sliding panel kit that converted the package shelf under the dashboard to an enclosed area like a glove compartment.
The OPs Toyota was 8.years old when the dashboard became sticky. I don’t think any manufacturer can anticipate all the problems that may develop over time. I remember back in the late 1950s some cars developed problems with the oil passages in the block plugging up and the rocker arms weren’t getting oil. Outside oil lines were marketed to resolve this problem which was more serious than Toyota’s sticky dashboard problem.
I will have to admit that cosmetic.problems don’t bother me, particularly on an older car. I don’t know if it still exists, but there used to be a rack marked HELP in auto parts stores. This rack had some cosmetic parts such as window crank handles. I’ve replaced window crank handles with these aftermarket parts. It didn’t bother me that the replacements didn’t match the originals. I was able to roll the windows up and down and that was important. I had the upholstery wear out on cars I used to own. I would install inexpensive fiber seat covers. Not only did these seat covers improve the appearance over the worn upholstery, but the fiber seat covers reduced the static electricity shock one would get in the winter sliding across the seat and touching the door handles.

1 Like

Pep Boys still has this area . . . it’s a whole aisle

The parts are usually Dorman brand

As for the window crank handles . . . they’ll usually last a few years. If your car is old, that could mean the remaining life of the vehicle. In any case, it’s much easier to buy those parts at Pep Boys, versus going to the dealer, only to be told “Nobody EVER asks for those parts” or “That part is unavailable”

1 Like

[quote
Pep Boys still has this area . . . it’s a whole aisle

Oriely’s also has a help section a year ago I got a window crank handle for my F150 it was a Dorman brand it was inentical to the OEM that broke.

1 Like

I can’t completely agree on that

The Dorman parts are lower quality . . . but they’re easy to get

1 Like

I don’t know about the quality but the look is identicat and was easy to find the price was 10$ I would say the dealer ( if they had one) would be a lot higher.

1 Like

No argument about price and availability :smiley:

1 Like

I found Dorman power window regulator assemblies of good quality, at least the higher priced version. Once (only) I bought the lower priced one, and it took forever to fit them on the bolts inside the door. The higher priced ones slide right on.

I have generally found Dorman parts to be at least slightly lower quality . . . if not drastically lower quality . . . versus the factory parts

But the availability is generally good, and the price is reasonable

I’d consider using Dorman parts if I only planned on driving the vehicle another 2 -3 years. If I planned on driving the vehicle another 5 - 10 years, I’d opt for something higher quality than Dorman

That “help” section still exists, at least at the Pep Boys near my house.

1 Like