Camry 2008 dashboard - getting sticky

can you seal the dash with any product? I saw on a car show where the mechanic cleaned the problem area with a simple household cleaner and that was it. Online I purchased but not received yet a ‘sealer’ for the dash. Will this work?

It isn’t clear how this sticky material got there. If it came out of the dashboard, it’s the plasticizers diffusing out of the plastic. Wipe it off with an appropriate solvent. Isopropyl alcohol might work and I think simple green will almost certainly work. Then follow it with your sealer.

1 Like

I understand from reading that this is a common deterioration in Camry dash boards. Toyota changed the warranty to 10 years. Unfortunately that ended 3 years ago for me. Thanks for advice

Tony

| jtsanders
November 12 |

• | - |

It isn’t clear how this sticky material got there. If it came out of the dashboard, it’s the plasticizers diffusing out of the plastic. Wipe it off with an appropriate solvent. Isopropyl alcohol might work and I think simple green will almost certainly work. Then follow it with your sealer.

I concur with JTS’s advice above, wouldn’t advise using a sealer product for this problem. For cleaning plastic (hard synthetic) materials usually one of the options JTS mentioned work. I’ve also had pretty good luck using Pinesol or similar product, diluted w/water to the amount recommended by the manufacturer for “general cleaning” use.

I’ve seen recommendations for using an Armor-All product on dashboards too, but I’ve never tried it myself.

You don’t want to use Armor-All it will make it sticky if it is not sticky now and make it worse it it is already sticky,

1 Like

It is a 2008 , just buy a dash cover and be done with it .

1 Like

Heat is an issue, too causing the stickiness. I use a window screen when I park in the sun. It’s also parked in the garage when not in use.