Wipers Won't Retract Under Hood

The windshield wipers of my 2000 Buick Century will not retract under the hood anymore since today, when I turn the wipers off. Unlike some wiper parking problems, mine do not stop in the top position, they stop in the low position they stay at between pulses in the pulse delay modes. Would this most likely be the turn signal switch stalk which has the wiper controls, the pulse board, or a switch or other component in the wiper motor unit at fault?

The pulse board is what parks the wipers.

Tester

1 Like

I’m hoping it’s this at fault because I purchased one from Auto Zone in 2012, although I don’t remember what was wrong. But I think it has a lifetime warranty. It’s called a limited lifetime warranty which I’m hoping covers the pulse board. If not, at least the old receipt will provide the Autozone item number.

Check the tab on the wiper motor crank arm. There’s a small tab that, if it’s off just a hair, it will cause the wipers to not park properly. Here’s a great video on it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYHN4WSxZP8

Thanks for your quick reply and link Rainflurry, but i’ve now watched this and several similiar youtube videos about this touchy little tab, and it seems that when the tab gets bent out of it’s alignment, the wipers then park erroneously, pointing straight up vertically on the windshield rather than parking normally, horizontally under the inner edge of the car hood. In my case, the wipers always park at or near the positions the wipers are in when the wiper control is in the pulse mode and the wipers sit waiting until they make the next wipe. Please share what info you may have on this type of behavior, and if you think I may have a faulty pulse board