Window

My grandma owns a 2000 Hyundai Elantra, her windows started failing and at the moment she has the two back stuck up with match sticks and post it notes, and her driver side one is shored up with planks.

I’m learning to drive and I spend much more time in her car than my mom’s Corolla, which I notice a sever difference when driving. So I’m pretty much learning to drive in a car I can’t take the test in because I need at least the driver side window to work.

My grandma got a quote for the windows at 300 each, which neither she nor my parents have. I was wondering if it was possible to convert my grandma’s power window into a crank window and if it would be cheaper, I’m sure my dad could do the work, but is it actually possible?

Before proceding with this plan a inspection of the “window regulator(s)” (this is what the part that is probably broken is called) is required. Perhaps just some small part is needed for repair. You say your Dad can do the work, get him busy removing the door panels and make a inspection.

It would be far cheaper to replace the window regulators and get the power windows working again than to convert to crank. My sources list the motor and regulator for each window at about $100, so $300 per window for a professional install plus parts and labor sounds fair. The time and energy to remove the entire regulator mount to replace with a crank mount would far out-price this.

Also, there is no law that prevents you from replacing one at a time as budget allows. Start with the driver’s side front, then the passenger side front, then the rear windows. I prefer passenger side rear first, then driver’s side rear.

If your dad is mechanically inclined, the job can be done for parts only. For the front two windows, if it is just the motor, a replacement for the front is only about $80. If it is the regulator, the price is only $35. If both are suspect, replace both for $115. The rear window motors are sold with the regulators at $90 apiece, so just replace it all.