Why no car alert you when you have hand brake on

With the hand brake on, speed will be lower. :slight_smile:

I will say no more. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Sorry to be off cars, but reminds me of a Jay Leno skit, the VCR was always blinking 12:00 and my parents kept the remote in a drawer, they were afraid if they missed aiming at the VCR they might blow up a vase,

1 Like

Sorry to be O.T. but I saw a bicycle today with a low profile tire.

I had to do a double take. :slight_smile:

I expect the manufacturer thought folks might be annoyed with an audio alarm for that. People routinely pull away after parking with the handbrake still partially on, and an audio alarm might bring complaints. But you could make an argument you should be able to decide that point for yourself, after all it is your car. Co if you want it to be audible, you should be able to configure it that way. I guess mini doesnā€™t agree.

I have a sort of similar alarm complain about my Corolla. When the coolant gets too hot, the needle on the gauge goes up, and I think a small dash light comes on, but thereā€™s no audio alarm. I think there should be. Thereā€™s an audio alarm if just one of the seat belts arenā€™t fastened, so why not an audio alarm for the engine coolant too hot?

George, trade your Corolla to Nissan Altima :slight_smile:
In my 2012 one, it both beeps and brigs up a huge orange banner with ā€œwindwasher fluid lowā€ / ā€œparking brake engagedā€, etcā€¦ and makes a delicate ā€œbleeepā€ sound.
I bet it will likely warn about coolant overheating too, but so far I did not get into that trouble (yet?)

1 Like

I donā€™t know if any of my cars ever beeped if you left the handbrake on because I have never done it. we are raising generations of helpless children because NOTHING has ever been required of them.
As a school bus driver, I took 40 suburban high school students on an urban social studies field trip. Going to a downtown restaurant we walked them down the street to an intersection where we had to cross both streets and told them to wait for the walk sign. It was a disaster, when the walk sign came on they all tried to cross the street diagonally, walking out in front of crossing traffic with horn blowing and cars banging into each other. These high schoolers didnā€™t know how to cross the street, they literally have been driven everywhere they go.

Personally, I appreciate those reminders in my cars that do it. And why wouldnā€™t you add that feature if all the hardware is already there to support it? Itā€™s nothing more than a few lines of code at that pointā€¦

oldtimer_11 not sure if your example is relevant to requiring things from those kids. They simply were never EXPOSED to that environment. I grew up in a very rural community. We didnā€™t have crosswalks or public transportation. Nothing was within walking distance. You HAD to drive everywhere. Iā€™d blame the chaperoneā€™s for not doing their job. I went on a field trip as a chaperone just a couple of weeks ago and most of the parents were too busy on their phones or otherwise chatting among themselves and not doing the job they were there to do. You mean weā€™re supposed to watch/guide them???

ā€¦and if there was an audible warning, then the next complaint would be something along the lines ofā€¦
Why isnā€™t that warning chime louder? I canā€™t hear it when I am blasting my stereo.

Along those lines, many years ago I had a student who spent more time in my office than any other, due to his continual refusal to do assigned work, and by senior year, the totality of his failures meant that he needed to pass every course in order to graduate.

After having met with him at least 16 times over the course of his senior year, I finally had to call him in so that we could formulate a summer school plan for him. His reaction wasā€¦shock!ā€¦that he wasnā€™t going to be graduating with his class. I reminded him of how often we had spoken over the course of the year, and how often I had counseled him about the need to simply do what was assigned to him, and his response was, ā€œWell, maybe if you had emphasized it moreā€¦ā€.

I politely told him to exit from my office, and to return when he was ready to assume responsibility for his own actions and inactions.

The bottom line is that, for some people any type of warning will never be sufficient.
:unamused:

A great many people appreciate basic functionality and some have developed a cultish following to automobiles that best fit their purpose

The automobile is first and foremost a means of basic transportation and the simpler it is the more reliable it is.

These were not rural kids, they live in a first ring suburb with sidewalks, traffic lights, controlled intersections and stores everywhere. Yet none of them has ever apparently been a pedestrian.

Sounds urban to me so I understand your argument. The suburbs for the area I grew up in was quite different :slight_smile:

My car chimes when the emergency brake is on. How can I shut the chimes off? It drives me nuts when Iā€™m driving.

In this day and age it is nearly impossible to get over 50% of the population to agree on anything. Maybe because we focus more on doing things the way WE want them instead of accepting the way things ACTUALLY are. I canā€™t remember a time when instead of learning the particular features and failures of a car, we wanted to re-engineer them to our liking. All cars have things we like and donā€™t like.

Now if you want to talk mowers, thatā€™s different. Iā€™m trying to decide if its easier to put a new engine or transmission in a new mower to get what I want cause I canā€™t get both because theyā€™ve screwed it up so bad. I think its easier and cheaper to change engines.

Any thoughts on the concept of the parking brake automatically disengaging when you put a car in drive? Many cars you have to be pressing the bake pedal to put it in drive.

I grew up in a suburban environment, small town, and walking or bicycles was the only way any of us kids had to get around. My typical day this time of the year, Iā€™d walk about a mile and half to school at 7:30 am, walk back home 4 pm, have dinner, then back out from 5:30 pm to 8 pm, playing football, baseball, or basketball pickup games. These days the kids in my area anyway leave at 8 am w/their parents driving them, and come back, again with their parents driving them, at 3:30 pm, and I donā€™t see them after that, inside their houses. Iā€™m not seeing the neighborhood kids in my area doing much walking either. I donā€™t think it is the kids thatā€™s the fundamental issue tho. Much of the helicopter parenting thing is b/c the sense the parentā€™s have that their kids are not safe outside walking around by themselves. Fearful about bullies, or worse. So to avoid the risk they just drive the kids to and from school, 4-8 blocks, and keep the kids inside studying, playing vdo games, or eating otherwise. Thereā€™s quite a bit of interest in teaching the kids physical defense, karate is a popular weekend class I see them going to, again driven in the parentā€™s cars.

Oh, forgot why I wanted to post on this topic in the first place ā€¦ lol ā€¦ from what I understand younger folk when they leave home and go to college or get their first job, they are not very interested in owning cars. They find all the rules and risks and work that come with car ownership just not worth all the throuble, so they take cabs, use public transport, etc.

That would make the parking brake not usable as an emergency brake. Granted, itā€™s not very effective in that role, but still, better than nothing.

2 Likes

I was not talking about disabling the parking brake, just having it pop off when you put the car in drive, a one time event.

Iā€™m trying to remember but we rented a Ford Focus or whatever the small one is and I put the parking brake on for some reason. Then it took a while to try and figure out how to get it off again. There was no release lever so it was either press on the parking brake again, press on the brake pedal, or press on both at the same time. Iā€™m thinking press on the brake but maybe someone else knows. It was different anyway.

Any thoughts on the concept of the parking brake automatically disengaging when you put a car in drive?

Thought: it would [stink] for bootleg turns!

Cadillac had that feature, many years ago, and late-model Outbacks have it. On my Outback, it is electronically interconnected with the seatbelt circuitry, so that the parking brake will not disengage automatically unless the driver is belted-in.

Actually, you can use it in that manner. However, the ownerā€™s manual does mention to be very cautious about doing it, as it will cause lock-up of the rear brakes. The manual advises applying it, releasing it, etc.

Must the car do absolutely everything for the driver? At what point must the driver start to take responsibility?

As regards the brake pedal, thatā€™s a safety feature to prevent putting the car in drive without having the brake depressed and having it move unintentionally. I havenā€™t researched it, but I suspect itā€™s a mandated feature now.

1 Like