Why no car alert you when you have hand brake on

According to this guy’s post he doesn’t pay attention to the light in this vehicle and his previous one.

1 Like

I guess I’m just a little nuts today but I was thinking, my phone vibrates and we have heated seats, so why not have the seat vibrate if you leave the brake on? Or they could get that OnStar lady with the soothing voice to announce that you may have your brake on and significant damage MAY result. My wife always reminds me if my turn signal is on or other driving issues so maybe that’s the answer. Never drive alone?

For something like this you don’t need the soothing On Star lady. You need Mr T “Da brakes on ya fool”!!!

It only took me once to learn to look for any warning ;light when I take off.

Yosemite

2 Likes

Back in the old days, the parking brake on Chrysler products were shoes that gripped the drive shaft right behind the transmission. Our neighbours had a 1942 Dodge and the driver forgot to release the hand brake before driving off. The brake actually caught fire. Fortunately, the fire was extinguished before the car suffered any damage except the brake.
Back in those days, we didn’t have a warning light to remind the driver that the hand brake was set. Today, that light not only is a reminder that the hand brake is set, but warns the driver if the system has lost brake fluid. One should always scan the dash frequently for signs of trouble.

I’m sure there’s an app available on iphones for such issues. How did us old people survive all those years and miles without the sky hooks?

1 Like

Perhaps in the near future there’ll be a car that calls you on your personal device if you have your parking brake on. Why not? Apparently there’s a fridge that’ll call you if the door’s open and laundry machines that’ll call you if they need to be turned on… and you can turn them on remotely.

1 Like

I think there are fridges that keep inventory, order what you’re running out of, keep track of your every move, report suspicious ones to the authorities.

Grandfather could have asked the same question about cars, electricity, running water, furnaces, washing machines…

1 Like

I’d be a little suspicious of what those machines are doing when everyone is gone.

1 Like

My only answer is. If you can’t be bothered to check if all the warning lights are off before driving, I really shouldn’t have bothered to even type this.

6 Likes

My ‘fleet’ of 3 cars all have a red light on the dash and an audible beep if the hand brake is on when the car is in gear. What more does the OP need?

My guess is they need to stop driving as they obviously can not understand what all the red lights on the dash board are for. This is the type of person who also drives for miles with the turn signal on, because they never even look at the dash.

2 Likes

That is their signal for an…eventual…turn. You just have to wait for it.
Be sure to time it with a calendar, rather than a clock.
:wink:

2 Likes

My car has an audible alert if the turn signal is left on, surprised me the one time it happened. I am not sure about the brake.

I enjoy running water, etc., but consider remote control showers, cell phone control of HVAC and lights and Rube Goldberg computerization of simple mechanical systems as trendy overkill.

2 Likes

I think that it goes beyond “trendy overkill” into the category of needlessly endangering the security of your home.

1 Like

Yeah my cars chime too when the blinker is left on too long. I remember my first encounter was with my 86 Riviera years ago. All of a sudden the chimes went off and I and the guy with me said what is that? Then noticed the turn signal was on.

1 Like

LOL, I can envision standing on a curb by a retirement community in Florida hearing cars pass by chiming away…

2 Likes

The dual purpose warning light can advise the driver that the parking brake is engaged. If parking brake is not engaged it is warning the driver of a potential failure of the main braking system which could result in serious injury or death. The OP does not pay attention to this warning light and wants an audible warning. All I can think of is Darwin Award winner!

3 Likes

You remind me of a few years old joke concerning Mario Andretti returning to the Indy 500 at the age of 70. He never exceeded 50mph and his left turn signal was on for the entire race. LOL!

2 Likes

LOL, I love it!
It took me a moment to catch the suttle “left turn” signal joke hidden in the larger joke. :smile: