Recently discovered alarm on 2003 Rav4- how to disable?

I’ve had a 2003 Rav4 for 10 years. Only recently did I discover that there is an alarm system in it. Occasionally, if you try to unlock the door with the key and turn it to the left, the alarm will sound. It goes off once you turn the key to the right to unlock the door. Thus far, it has never beeped when we lock the door.

This morning, for the first time ever the car began sounding 2 beeps when we manually unlocked the door and 1 beep when we lock it. (We don’t have a fob) The alarm sounds if we open an unlocked door without first disabling it with the key. It is basically going off everytime we try to get into the car. It is incredibly annoying.

What happened? Any idea what triggered the system to come out of hibernation? And how do we send it back to sleep?

Try phoning up the dealership that sold the car to the original owner (which I presume isn’t you). Maybe they’ll know. If not, phone up the person you bought the car from, likely that is the original owner. Perhaps they installed an aftermarket alarm and can remember the company that installed it.

The only other thing I can think of w/out the above info, check the wires that go from the door to the car’s body, near the door hinges. Do you notice the insulation being rubbed off? Next, push on the button-switch that activates when the door is opened and closed, you can see it with the door open. Near the door lock mechanism. Does it operate smoothly, or does it operate w/ a hitch, sticking?

Aftermarket alarms (assuming that’s what you have) can be troublesome. If this were my car, I’d bring it to the dealer or a qualified aftermarket alarm installer with directions to rip out the system and restore the original wiring, even though this might not be the cheapest solution.

Here is a procedure to arm/disarm Toyota’s factory system

ARMING MODE : Automatic arming ON or OFF.

PREPARATION

1. Check that all connectors and terminals of the fitting kit wire harnesses (main) and (engine) are fitted correctly.
  2. Reconnect the negative battery cable.
  3. Remove the key from the ignition key cylinder and push the “unlock” button of the remote control.
    ➨ Indicator lights will flash 2 times.
  4. Close boot and bonnet completely.
  5. Step in the vehicle and make sure that all doors are closed completely.
  6. Insert the key into the ignition key cylinder.
  7. Wait for more than 5 seconds.
  8. After turning the key to the ACC position, turn the key from the ACC to the
    ON position 5 times within 10 seconds (Last position : ON).
    ➨ Status Monitor LED will illuminate for 30 seconds.
    Note : In case you implement 6 times or more by mistake,
    action steps 6)-8) you made will be canceled.
    Please retry from step 6).
  9. While the LED is illuminated :
    • Open and close the driver’s door 9 times.
    • Turn the key to the ACC position.
    ➨ LED will continue illuminating.
    ➨ Indicator lights will flash 9 times.
    Automatic arming OFF (valet mode) :
  10. While the LED is illuminated :
    • Open and close the driver’s door 1 time.
    • Turn the key ACC-ON-ACC 1 time (Last position : ACC).
    ➨ Indicator lights will flash 1 time.
    ➨ LED will extinguish.
    Automatic arming ON (passive arming) :
  11. While the LED is illuminated:
    • Open and close the driver’s door 2 times.
    • Turn the key ACC-ON-ACC 1 time (Last position : ACC).
    ➨ Indicator lights will flash 2 times.
    ➨ LED will extinguish.
    Note : If the system does not work aftre the above mentioned operation it is possible that the system
    is in “Temporary Override” mode.Please cancel the mode.
    LOCK ACC
    ON
    START

Setting Guide TVSS V

knfenimore wrote:
Remove the key from the ignition key cylinder and push the “unlock” button of the remote control.

Unfortunately, the OP doesn’t have a fob (which is a situation I wouldn’t have put up with for ten years).

“Unfortunately, the OP doesn’t have a fob (which is a situation I wouldn’t have put up with for ten years).”

Same here. Those key fobs are readily available at most large auto parts stores and online as well. Prices vary from $25-$75.

I’m sort of a fob-no-nothing. Never used one. Just curious, when the owner says they don’t have a fob, does that mean their car is equipped for a fob, but the owner just doesn’t have a working fob in their possession; e.g. b/c the one that came w/the car is broken or lost? Or could it mean that particular car isn’t equipped to use a fob?