What's everybody up to this Labor Day weekend?

“at my work we routinely test batteries over 3 years old with every oil change”

That is a very wise policy.
I just checked my battery yesterday, and found that it is only holding 12.25 volts–and that was after a high speed run of about 160 miles–so clearly this battery is on the way out. And–it is exactly 4 years old!

I’m getting 2 new tires today on the Cobalt LT. Yokohama Avid Ascends and 4 wheel alignment.

That is a very wise policy.

Sure it is. I sell more batteries that way!

But seriously, just because a battery starts the car every morning doesn’t mean it’s a good, reliable battery. Just like another thread going here, some people get that and some don’t. Some just have different goals. One may be to get every last day of service out of a battery. Another may be to never need a jump start and to replace the battery when it’s convenient rather than an emergency.

And then there’s the idea of your alternator constantly cranking out to keep a half-dead battery on life support…

I’ve bought a lot of batteries from Wal Mart over the years with hardly any problems. However, I’m having a go-around with WM right now over a 5 month old battery.

Wal Mart testing shows the battery is good the print-out says the only thing wrong is that it needs to be charged.
Telling them that 12.1-12.2 volts after an afternoon of slow charge and going dead after a week of sitting doesn’t seem to soak in.

Unfortunately, it looks like ethics will have to be run out of town and I’ll have to “repair” that battery so as to remove even the faintest shadow of a doubt for something to be done.

I had to go through this once with them about 10 years ago on a battery with a cell that would get no better than about 1.7 volts. They kept insisting the alternator or starter was bad, that the car had a short in the wiring, yada, yada.
What part of not taking a charge on the bench and holding it do they not understand…

“I’m going to the next village to take another look at the beautifully-restored Hudson pickup truck that one of the locals owns”.
@VDCdriver–I remember a farmer on the school bus route I rode to school had a Hudson pickup truck. These trucks may have paved the way for the Ford Ranchero that was introduced in 1957 or the Chevrolet El Camino that showed up about 1959. I would be curious to know if the truck you are going to see has the inline 6 or the inline 8 engine. I think the grille may have been slightly different in the 1942 model from the 1946-47 models. The 1946 and 1946 model cars had a grille that was recessed in the center while the 1942 model did not. I believe the same was true for the Hudson trucks.
At least you are doing something enjoyable for labor day. I am trying to help my son via email with a doctoral course he is taking in statistics and then I have to finish writing a sexual misconduct policy to satisfy the insurance company that insures our church. I would much rather be looking at antique cars and trucks.

The only Hudson pickup I have seen was purchased dirt cheap by my buddy/neighbor around 1970. It was dark green and looked and drove like new. They had such amazing styling. His truck met the same fate as many of my vehicles. A geezer (must have been over 50) offered him 4 times what he had paid so goodbye truck.

ok4450 Unless a battery fails very soon after purchase due to a factory defect the pro-rated warranty isn’t worth much. I once had a 4 year battery fail at just over 3 years. I think the warranty gave me less than $2 credit towards a replacement. Since I really didn’t want another 4 year battery that only lasted 3 years I declined the “generous” offer and bought a replacement battery somewhere else. Tire warranties can be similar.

No Labor Day here in Mexico. One of my builders was changing locks on my upstairs door. They have new locks now with four sided keys, make it impossible to pick, unless Houdini has been reincarnated.

I heard the phone ring, but paid no attention. Later, I told my wife that I was taking the car back to the body shop that fixed my rear end damage last week, he had said to bring it in Monday at 10. He wanted to give it a final buffing so it looked its best.

She said, “I forgot to tell you, he called a few minutes ago and said he wasn’t ready today. Thursday at the latest he can do it.”

Door Locks: Security was my responsibility among many others for many years. When we started to tighten up door locks etc., we always had to consider the weakest link. The locks may be great but often times a brick through the window is the easiest way in.

Liability: I just can’t emphasize enough the need for at least a million dollar umbrella liability policy. Even if you don’t have anything now, you could someday and a suit could ruin your life. Plus you get free lawyers.

Cars and Wounded Warriors: If its the same organization, I don’t give to them anymore. Too left wing and questionable results for vets.

Had a 4 day weekend.
Yesterday had dinner with my mom and step dad; BBQ pork in the crockpot.
Friday a buddy and I went to the gun range. He tried a gun out I was looking to sell, and I rented a few handguns to try out for my CCW gun. I put one on layaway while I was browsing after my range visit. The fingerprint machine/service went down while I was waiting at the local sheriff’s office to get my license, so I’ll need to take a day off during the week to go.

“The 1946 and 1946 model cars had a grille that was recessed in the center while the 1942 model did not. I believe the same was true for the Hudson trucks.”

I believe that you are correct, @Triedaq.
However, this guy noses his truck right up to his garage door, so it isn’t possible for me to see the grille.
Yes, despite having a two-bay commercial garage, he keeps that old beauty parked outside!
Luckily, crime is essentially non-existent in this area.

“The 1946 and 1946 model. . .”
@VDCdriver–sorry about the typo–I meant the 1946 and 1947 models of the Hudson.

I hope you got to see that Hudson truck.

Isn’t it a beauty?

No!
Not me.
The Hudson!

It’s amazing how many companies used to build pickup trucks. I remember Studebaker, International Harvester, Hudson, Willys, Ford, GMC, Chevrolet, Dodge. In Canada I’ve seen Fargo trucks (Chrysler), Mercury trucks, and Maple Leaf trucks (GM).

yes it is…

Chrysler corporation also built a pickup truck with the Plymouth name before WW II. The Plymouth name was also used on a truck Chrysler imported sometime in the 1970s. Another pickup truck that went out of production in the early 1950s was the Diamond T. Although it wasn’t a pickup, Nash built a truck on which a wrecker was mounted for use by Nash dealers.

we just relaxed and cleaned and did yard work. the plan was to go crabbing today but we decided against it. 4am was too early this morning. the girl spent a couple nights with her mom mom, so that was nice for them.

now I am the cook tonight, wings and corn on the cob

oh yeah, I put a new wheel well insert on my jeep. just the one side so far, it was a holiday after all. not very happy with the quality of the part tho. I wonder if there are better ones available? it should stop the water from getting in the body well enough tho, just not sure if it will last. 94 bucks for the pair and they are just plastic molds with holes… but I plan on keeping the jeep so it needed doing to prevent rust issues

wes

I rarely get the whole labor day weekend off, just Sunday this time. But if I wasn’t at work i probably would have missed the 55 or so 300SL Gullwing in the back of the parking lot. Not to mention the E63 AMG Wagon that i see somewhat regularly. The auction and car show for the Lemay foundation must have brought out some interesting cars this weekend. Of course this time last year I was with family exploring our roots near York in the UK. Planning some sort of trip for next year to europe but need to do lots of research first.

Liability: I just can't emphasize enough the need for at least a million dollar umbrella liability policy. Even if you don't have anything now, you could someday and a suit could ruin your life. Plus you get free lawyers.

I gotta disagree with you there...or at least suggest that your advice isn't universally applicable.

In the event of an at-fault accident, the "low-hanging fruit" is up to the limits of your liability policy. Beypnd that, any good lawyer knows he's got a much tougher fight actually recovering money.

Go with a huge policy, and all of a sudden, what would have been an in-n-out case--there's soft-tissue, pain and suffering, etc...carrying mucho insurance kind of defeats the advantage of being "judgment-proof."

Legal minimums for me, TYVM. Can't get blood from a turnip!

Thanks everyone! Hope all of you had a fun weekend surrounded by loved ones.