What is the origin of the name you use on Car Talk?

@bscar2;
I always thought that your username is “BS Car”, thinking this is your way of saying this is your hobby not your job.

This was a cool idea for a topic. Thanks for sharing your stories! (My name’s boring provenance: first initial, last name.)

When I first became a member of this forum, many years ago (2003 or 2004), I signed up with my real name. One day I realized I was creating a public record of my activities while at work by using my real name, so I borrowed one from a relative.

My mother’s cousin was my grandmother’s age, so she had a closer relationship with my grandmother than she did with my mother. The guy she married was kind of a surrogate grandfather to me since both of my grandfathers died before I was born. He used to take me fishing when I would visit my grandmother.

@Whitey

I’m relieve that your relative wasn’t James Whitey Bulger

I have this 71 Malibu in my dwindling collection that I bought off a guy who was rebadging it as an SS. I stripped all that off and built it up as a car I could drive to the dragstrip and compete with some of the trailer queens for bragging rights.

Completely rebuilt everything related to the drive train and suspension geared toward maximizing performance. Everything was designed and built to complement each other. The key and what set it apart from most everyone else is the transmission. Its basically two TH400s in series. I control it with two ratcheting shifters one for each trans. Manual valve bodies and many improvements over stock. The brakes can barely hold it back you get a squawk when dropping it into first gear.

Later, I quit racing and decided to make some changes. Smoothed frame and firewall, hid everything in frame pockets and body channels etc. It looks like an engine that is just sitting there but can’t run. Took 6 months to complete and wrecked it hitting a deer on the second outing. Sat for a year before I regained interest. Its back but a shadow of its former glory. I resolved never to build jewelry again. First and last.

My only regret now is it was built for drag racing so I have it freewheel in all but fifth. Can’t get the big block roar with engine braking, only acceleration. That attracts a lot of unwanted attention.

Anyway, that’s the origin of TwinTurbo…

Irlandes is Irish in Spanish. My son used to call me a throwback to the Celts. But, now we know from DNA testing that the Irish weren’t Celts, but immigrants from Spain and Portugal 5,000 to 10,000 years ago. Since 2/3 of Mexican male ancestry is from the Iberian Peninsula, my y-marker DNA is the same as most of my neighbors.

@galant
I’ve toyed with the idea of getting personalized plates with this name(minus the #2) and either doing the BS CAR or leaving it without spaces and seeing how I could play mind games with those that seen the plates. Even more so if I get a BMW or Mustang

Some states may kick out anything with ‘bs’ in it…

Contrary to what everyone thinks, I did not name myself after Gandalf’s horse. I named myself after the band which named itself after Gandalf’s horse. :wink:

Back in the 90’s when I was first screwing around on the internet, I was casting about for an online name to use. I happened to be listening to a Shadowfax CD at the time, and so, there you have it.

It’s better than the old name I used when I was running BBS systems in the days before the internet: Data.

I named myself after my father.

@jtsanders…that’s a great tribute to your father. I did the same thing years ago when I wrote newspaper articles and a few columns but I used my grandfather’s name. Since my name is the same as my dad’s…it would have been a moot tribute.

@cdaquila…thanks for the “This was a cool idea for a topic” reference. I think the last time I had a “cool idea” was in the 3rd grade. I made the suggestion that, instead of a name on a piece of paper, that students give “a penny a vote” when someone ran for something in the school. The money would then be used for a class party. The idea spread quickly in our town when it was implemented…even to the high school. I must confess though that the idea was not original since my mother told me that that’s how her school did it years before.

I’m sure mine was easy to figure out: My first name and the last 2 digits of the year I was born.

@steve63 We had a poster in the past with the “Craig58” handle. The 58 may have been the year he graduated. He spent a lot of time in the nuclear industry. We have not heard from him in a few years.

Since Craig58 was still working, I suspect that the 58 referred to either his age when he assumed the name or the year he was born.

@docnick I remember Craig58 and the posts about his Mercedes 300D with something like 400,000 miles on it.

@steve63 Yes, he has 2 Mercedes vehicles. He even had a crated engine for one since he was planning to change the power plant soon.

At the time he was posting, I believe he was semi-retired.

Good idea for a thread. There was a thread like this here many years ago.

I believe I may have been here before many of you arrived. I think it was around 1997 and things were a lot different. I came here for car advice and ended up posting mostly in what was then the ‘Rant & Rave’ forum. You didn’t need to register to post. It was pretty much uncensored in those days and there was a lot of arguing going on. It was also a lot of fun and a person could learn not only about cars but you could learn about politics, guns and any other subject. People’s personalities were more up front then because most of us were very outspoken and opinionated about a variety of subjects.

When I discovered this place I chose the name ‘Joe Guy’ because it was the second name that came to mind. My first thought was ‘John Average’. There was no deeper meaning than that.

“there was a lot of arguing going on.”

there’s still a lot of arguing going on

“It was also a lot of fun . . . you could learn about politics, guns and any other subject.”

That’s still true, because we get off-topic pretty quickly

@db4690…I think the reason we get “off topic” sometimes is because we have hit a brick wall with a subject. At other times it’s the question such as can I pull a 30 ft trailer with my Yugo? This quickly becomes boring because most first graders would know the answer.

I had made some highly critical comments to the CEO of one of the McParts chains when I called to make a complaint and when the local store invited me to a party I arrived to find the CEO there, To avoid unnecessary conflict I had a my name tag read ROD KNOX and all the local people understood the humor and the reason for the subterfuge and when the store manager introduced me to the CEO as Rod Knox I was amazed that he kept a straight face and since then the manager has called me Rod as do several competitors who were there. I don’t know if that CEO ever found out who I really was. He didn’t seem at all familiar with the term rod knock.