What happened to the forum?

Well like anything else, you snooze, you lose. Naw, know you’ve been busy, not snoozing, but some of us have gotten a little used to the new format. Some parts good some parts bad but mostly just having to get used to it and learn the features. Interestingly it seems like some posters are new but if not new have just been lurking over the past few years. Also they have dredged up some two or more year posts so check the dates first.

I am starting to get used to it. I hated it at first but now I am starting to like it.

I am just not smart enough to figure a few things out.

I do like the scroll rater than trying to figure out what page you are on. Sure change happens but this is it for now. On vacation but that baby bald eagle should stop squawking. Love the critters but glad the nest is nimby. Messy critters

I haven’t really figured out how to respond to someone and include their post. I think I did it once. When I hit that little quote icon, Caddy’s post came up so don’t think that’s it. Maybe somewhere in all those forums there is an instruction sheet.

2 Likes

@bing, you can select the text you want to reply to and include, and a little box pops up to say Quote Reply. Click it, and then the reply box opens up.

2 Likes

I also don’t like the format…

I assume you hit reply at the bottom of a chain to add a comment? But then what happens when you hit the reply button on an individual post? do you start a new chain off off that post?

Sigh… my bank just did an upgrade and now I can’t connect to the site, they say my browser is too old. But Apple does not have an upgrade. So I have to buy a new computer !!! It’s only 4 years old.

This universal policy of upgrades for no real reason is very annoying…

b

?? now how to I finish the “reply”. I’ll try hitting “reply” again. Not a good user interface… the “reply” button has too many different functions.

edit: apparently the “reply” buttons on the right of the posts function the same as the “reply” button on the bottom of the page, they just add a new comment, do NOT start a new thread.

How do I find other topics? Previously I looked at “recent discussions” (or recent somethings). I don’t have that to click on. All I see are 5 topics at the bottom of this page. And they are all chains I started.

Never mind, found it.

Yes, you hit the blue “reply” button at the bottom of the chain. There are also individual “reply” buttons at the bottom right of each post so you may reply directly to someone else’s comment if you like.

I agree that sometimes it can be disorienting when sites get redesigned. All I can assure you is that though it may seem arbitrary to you, and the new version is unfamiliar and annoying, we didn’t do it for no reason. There are other ways to amuse ourselves!

Could you explain that in more detail. Does it start a new thread/chain branching off from that comment? How is that viewed?

I tried a reply by hitting one of the “reply” buttons on the right, and it seemed to just put my comment at the bottom of the thread.

When someone uses the reply box on your post you will see a faint notice on the lower left of your post and it should show how many. the reply also goes to the bottom of the thread.

As far as I can tell, using the ‘reply’ button within a message notifies that poster you replied to them, nothing more. Highlighting text first adds it to your reply post.

A four year old computer is like a 20 year old car. Time to upgrade.

I’m currently using a 12 year old iBook G4, thank you very much…

Well whatever works. If it still starts, what the hey.

Hey Bing, got $700 you can send me for an upgrade? :smile:

1 Like

I had to replace my 9 1/2 year old Mac Mini 7his year because none of my browser versions we supported any more and I could not upgrade them qnd even my Adblock stopper working. my computer still worked fine but nothing was compatible with the 32 bit processor.
Chrome actually said good-by and uninstalled itself.
I am just an analog guy in a digital world.
That is why forum changes irritate me so much, Most people seem to know a lot of different ways to do something on a computer. I usually know only one, and if something is changed and that one doesn’t work, I have no idea what to do.

When I was still driving a school bus they gave ne an aide about my age and told us to call a special ed student’s mother when we had put him on a city bus. They had to give us a cell phone because neither one of us owned one. After we dropped him off we discovered that neither of us knew how to make a call on a cell phone. Nothing is intuitive if you don’t know it.

Well I hear ya. I used to be the one pushing technology and then all of a sudden I got left in the dust by all the experts and kids. Then I used to have people that take care of my stuff or tell me what to do but being retired I’m on my own. So now I’ve just got a computer guy to call that will take care of everything. I guess I’m resolved to just replacing stuff every few years and not worry about it. I’m still hanging onto my flip phone for dear life though but I have to say its awfully nice for the wife to have a new one.

1 Like

Using Linux, I am not forced to buy a new machine after a very few years. Only when the computer goes bad. However, I find that laptops which I normally use because of a lot of travel, fail in a very short time, and desktops last for many years.

I do not mind when people open old postings. Once on a forum, not related to cars, there was some dangerous advice on an old posting, which could harm people. I said so and a moderator cussed me out.
That was just plain dumb.

Well, I guess we should just get rid of the word intuitive then!
:wink:

Not everyone is wired the same way. My wife and son are very good at picking up on the way certain electronic devices are designed to work and I’m sitting there trying to figure it out and complaining about how messed up it is…

1 Like

I have been in computers for a long long time, previous generations of windows updates causing issues led us to turn off auto updates, as we had security measures in place that a remote hacker could not do whatever, and got tired of computers crashing or going off line as they were needed 24/7. So young kid working for me at the time, update windows always, certainly ate up hard drive space fast, but I was like, win 10, I’ll update, he is like no no, sorry going to do it anyway, I need to determine what issues we will have with our current universally installed programs, antivirus, backup etc. Sure we had issues, sure I fixed them, but I hope car updates go better than windows updates. PS if you have the latest version of windows, windows restore is turned off by default, gotta turn that on, had the powelike hit a computer this am, removed the trojan, but missing windows restore, as I could have just used that.

Thugh it never really caused a problem due to my lockdowns including more technical details if you are interested. Basically a reboot restores previous configuration by not allowing permanant changes, but powelike is a particularly nasty bug. If you get a mozilla needs upgrade and the web address is not mozilla.org do not go there.