Voting for President

“I am currently getting 1.05% interest on my savings account, and 1.25% interest on my CDs–all of which are FDIC-insured.”

The rates are even a little higher near me. Check local Credit Unions, specifically Money Market rates, in Addition to CDs.

Also, on January 31st my credit union sent us 2 surprise Bonus Dividends for $276.76 each! The money was deposited in our accounts. That’s in addition to regular interest earned. Do you know how long it would take to earn that interest at my local banks right now?
CSA

It seens that I ruffled some feathers, that was not my intent & I am truly sorryif tou tooh it that way. I Recently Retired & his the bestforum I haveam trying to learn more about todays cars so I can try to do more of my own matence. This is the best forum I have found & I have nouthing but respect for the regulars on here

It seems thatI have ruffled some feathers & I am sorry if y’all took it that way. I have recently retired from OTR trucking & have time to work on my vevhies & am wanting to learn more than I know. This is the bset forum that I have found. I have nothing but respect for all the regulars on here Who give freely of ther knowledgr % experiance

@Renegade You could edit your post that did not go over well.

Hi - could you please be mindful of staying somewhat on topic? Thanks. The discussion is beginning to wander off a bit.

We can rate the presidential candidates on how “Car Friendly” they are.

From what I’ve seen so far, Clinton and Sanders will have programs that will be decidedly unfriendly while the GOP candidates would generally try to maintain the status quo.

Whoever gets elected, I hope that common sense will prevail. Sales of electric cars and hybrids have already plummeted because of the cheap gasoline.

Ok, back to cars.
If the marker of a person’s voting preference can be tied to the car they drive . . .
Who am I voting for ?
In my driveway right now ;
2008 Ford Expedition EL.
2006 Ford Escape. . HYBRID.
1979 Chevy pickup, 4x2 short stepside.

^
“Who am I voting for ?”

Ummmm…Gerald Ford and Chevy Chase?

@VDCDRiver I recall secret agent Maxwell Smart (Don Adams) confiscating millions dollars in counterfeit money with pictures of president Goldwater on them.

And Agent Smart drove that iconic Sunbeam Tiger muscle car. With Elizabeth Taylor and Don Adam’s help that car must have sold by the dozens,

With apologies for being off-topic, I wanted to respond to @VDCdriver 's response to my post. "You should have done more research! - During that era, I put most of my assets into the Dreyfus Worldwide Dollar Fund, . . . " C’mon, I said I was just a kid at the time. I didn’t know about mutual funds then, this was long before the internet, I had access to the “bank” and the “savings and loan” located in the shopping center where my parents bought their groceries. Usually the savings and loan paid a little higher interest than the bank, so that’s where I put my money.

As regards the .15% interest, I never said I took them up on the offer, I asked them why they waste time, labor, and paper offering such a rate. Admittedly, I am getting about .75 - .9% interest on my short term reserves, but when I do the math, it comes out to about $9 - $15 a month, AT MOST, I am foregoing in interest. I can’t justify going from bank to credit union to bank to money market fund trying to squeeze out an extra 3/10ths to 4/10ths of a %, considering every time one opens up another account at another institution, there goes your SSN#; DL#; birthdate; mother’s maiden name; etc into another easily hacked database. I guess it just seems like more trouble than its worth. Now, if there’s a bank out there offering 4% interest on a 12 month CD, THAT would peak my interest. :smiley:

Gosh, I feel like I did on the first day of first grade; the first thing I learned was that everybody else got a bigger allowance than I did. :frowning:

I guess I should edit to clarify; I have played that game in years past. The bank or credit union offering the best rate “this year” often drops that rate way down “next year” and you have to hop over to another institution, eventually I’d end up with accounts spread all over the place and have to consolidate. If it were hundreds or thousands of dollars of difference, it would be worth it, but for “tens of dollars”, really? More efficient to just work a few hours overtime to make “tens of dollars”.

Shoot, sorry I’m off-topic, I meant to tie it in to the topic but somehow I’'m digging a hole for myself. I was going to make a joke about if Ted Cruz becomes president, does that mean all the speedometers, road signs, gas prices will be in the metric system (like they do in Canada) but I suppose that would be offensive to Ted Cruz supporters? With the Republicans moving farther to the right and the Democrats moving farther to the left, I would guess that we’ll probably have another 4 years of gridlock regardless of who becomes president, because the opposing party in Congress will close ranks against him/her.

By the way, please don’t punish these other guys because I came in here and posted off-topic and painted myself into a corner. I apologize, I’m going to bow out of this one. . .

I think when we were kids the bank was paying 3-4%. We had little banks to put our pennies and nickels in that couldn’t be hacked. Only the bank had the key. Wow made a lot of money. Yeah I bought CDs too when saving for school but really never expected to make a whole lot of money. Since I was 10 I guess I tried to convince my dad to get into stocks but no go. My Godfather was on the ground floor of one company and offered it to us. Coulda been rich for $500 but naw it was too risky. I also made the mistake of buying savings bonds to save for school for our son instead of stock. Then when the market was down and it looked like my job was going south, I dumped everything into money market and lost again. So now the bank is just for liquid assets and the rest is in funds. When the market is down, I just don’t dig into it if I can help it but the wife does like to travel. Everyone has their own risk tolerance.

Off topic but did you see Carrier is moving manufacturing from Indianapolis to Monterey? 1400 jobs lost. That Rose Perot sucking giant sound strikes again. Of course it was to insure long term profitability and competitiveness. Another phrase we should strike from our vocabulary.

Back to cars. I’m quite sure my Saab neighbor though would be a Bernie supporter. My other widow neighbor I think had a Honda and she believed in everyone sharing everything, like my lawn mower and snow blower and even my paper when I was done with it. So I’m pretty sure she would be a Bernie supporter too. To each according to their needs and so on. Would have been nice if she would have bought a paper once in a while though. From each according to their ability.