Car Talk Advertising

I agree with this forum being apolitical or nonpolitical, but that gets more difficult when I see these kinds of advertisements on your site:

What I’d like to know is: Does this mean Ray Magliozzi endorses Donald Trump for president?

2 Likes

Morning. I get these, too. It has come up before when we had the scantily clad women and the mail-order brides, but it’s a third-party ad service that gives us ads. I’ll pass it along to my überlackeys, but no, this does not mean we know anything about Ray’s political allegiances.

1 Like

To be fair, Tom and Ray have, in the past, taken political stances in their editorials that gave us insight into their political allegiances, and if Ray Magliozzi supports Trump’s reelection, I’ll buy you the Empire State Building.

2 Likes

We might need a direct phone line to heaven to find out Tom’s opinions right now
:wink:

3 Likes

Funny. When I click agree nothing but a picture pops up. :yum:.
P.S. I believe corruption equally exists in both parties.

Some New York City real estate may be a bit cheaper these days, but now that I’ve left, I’ll graciously decline.

2 Likes

@cdaquila Now that you have left New York City ( I can’t imagine living there ) how is your new full time job and location working out for you . Don’t need to know where you are . Just hope you are now where it is easier to avoid getting this terrible Covid thing.

I liked the scantily clad women😉

1 Like

New job just started and I’m getting settled. I’m working out in the beautiful boonies where it’s been quite easy to socially distance, and thankfully there’s been low covid numbers throughout the crisis. People are being careful, and in fact, it’s been kind of grimly funny to me that at times they’re more careful than I learned to be down in NYC and we got pummeled.

My project in the meantime is getting up to speed on how to maintain a car, because this is the first car I’ve ever owned. I lucked out on finding a private sale for a well maintained car with all the records, and I do check my oil regularly. (If there’s anything I’ve learned here…) I got a tire gauge. I read the maintenance schedule in the manual. I’ve been googling around for basic educational resources but I’ve not found anything I’ve loved so far. Now I have to figure things out like where to store my snow tires so as not to make my apartment smell like rubber, but not expose them to the elements.

2 Likes

Always a headache when storage is limited. A suggestion… Grab the Saran Wrap or similar and wrap the tires in 2-3 layers. Mostly eliminates the smell, keeps the tires fresh and the other stuff in the closet clean.

2 Likes

@Mustangman Thanks. As it happens, they came to me wrapped in Saran Wrap. I was looking, and I see sand and grit still on the tires. I am a rookie so I may be overthinking things, but does the presence of the sand degrade the rubber? Should I clean them up? I’ll be putting them on in a couple of months probably, and then there will be all kinds-a grit in there, so maybe it doesn’t matter.

If it is ON the treads, no problem. If you have little pebbles and such IN the treads, pop anything out the size of a pea out, the rest doesn’t much matter. The presence won’t degrade the rubber… sunlight, chemicals, heat and UV light will.

You can wrap your summer tires when they are put away to keep them fresh. Big garden size trash bags with drawstrings work as well.

4 Likes

Some apartments I’ve lived in had storage cages in the basement for stuff like this. Maybe you place doesn’t. @Mustangman’s bagging or wrapping idea is great. I’d wrap the draw strings around the top of the bag completely to choke off any air flow. You might use zip ties or twist wires (like on your bread packaging) too. You could also stack them, put a piece of plywood on top, and make a table. Probably something more for a college kid, though. I’ve seen cheap tables made presentable with a table cloth to obscure what’s underneath.

4 Likes

Around here some of the larger tire companies will store the off season tires for you. Not sure if they charge, or have to buy tires from them or what. I’ve never used snow or winter tires since about 1970. Back to TV ads. I just turn the volume off and just watch the stock market figures. You need an open mind and a sense of humor these days. When I saw the list of states with net population loss, I was surprised that Minnesota wasn’t on it. I’m sure we’ll make the list in future updates.

Oops. Make that Ray!

1 Like

Guess I never knew all the things my adblocker was keeping me from.

4 Likes

For several years now, banner ads on most websites are served up by a third-party service, which (among other things) probes your search history and what kinds of websites you have visited recently. If you read political articles, you are likely to see political ads.

BTW, even though I am a big supporter of President Trump, when I go to Youtube to watch music videos, I get bombarded with ads for Biden/Harris, and for the candidate running for Senate here whom I loathe. I just laugh when these ads come on, it’s not like they’re going to change my mind. Plus, I assume that each time these ads come on and play to completion, it costs the candidate–who I never would have voted for-- some money.

1 Like

I just wish I could get an ad blocker for my phone.

I did not know they did not have ad blockers for phones. I have not had a cell phone for 25 years. They did not have screens then.

Any way we can get more of those? … lol …

1 Like