Vegan Cars, Cow Farts, And PETA... What?

speaking of minks…

peta people actually sabotaged a local mink farm and released all of the animals into the woods , years back now. I hope that some of them survived, but I seem to remember that most were dead in short order. it s a little warm for minks around here…

“In the sixties Dupont, predicting a shortage of hides invented Corfam, a near leather like material for making shoes and other leather products requiring strength and flexibility. It never took off because good shoes continued to be made of leather …”

…and the short-lived mania for this type of stuff led BF Goodrich to develop its own version of Corfam, which they named Aztran. My family was in the shoe business and I recall asking my father why the Corfam & Aztran shoes disappeared from the marketplace after just a few years. He stated that the synthetic materials did not allow your feet to breathe properly, thus leading to stinky feet and foot fungus problems!

Here is an ad for shoes made from Aztran:

How close to leather was it ?
My son’s feet stink after wearing any shoes not made of leather…ANY shoes, we’ve tried many styles.
Switch to leather…no stink !

I think that its an evolutionary thing, teenage boys have stinky feet so we can keep track of them better…

The naugas are gone because they never learned how to hide.

I think PETA picked on Tesla because Tesla is a high profile target that hasn’t had a lot of bad press concerning a lack of compassion. That wouldn’t work with GM or Toyota, just to name two.

Yeah they did the same at the U of MN lab. Broke in and let the animals go who then mostly died on their own.

“How close to leather was it ?”

Both Corfam and Aztran looked like leather, but that is where the similarity ended.
IIRC, it was thicker than good-quality shoe leather, but the major issue was that it enabled moisture to get trapped inside the shoe while it was worn, and that is…not good in an olfactory sense, and is just not healthy from a medical perspective.

Imagine wearing a plastic trash bag on your body on a hot, humid day. After a fairly short period of time, you would be sweating inside that bag and the sweat wouldn’t be able to escape the plastic. Much the same thing happened when people wore shoes made from those synthetic materials.

There’[s a new faux leather being used in high-buck supercars now called (I think) alcantara. Or something like that. I’ve never felt it, but I’ve seen it mentioned in Car Talk often.

Where was PETA when the Chrysler brought out the Cordoba with Corinthian leather seats? Are Corinthian cows now extinct since so many were killed for Cordoba seats? I had to take 2 years of agriculture and we had a,unit on different breeds of cattle, but. I have no recollection of the Corinthian breed.

@Triedaq The Coreeeeenthian leather as promoted by Ricardo Montalban of fantasy Island was not any kind of leather but probably referred to the type of grain impressed on it.

My wife had a friend who bought one and I don’t recall smelling any leather.

These all come from the wide variety of prodigy from the nauga herd.
You know, the evolution thing?

Didn’t the term Corinthian leather refer to location? Somewhere near Italy I think.

A K-car with Italian leather seats? Interesting thought.

“the type of grain impressed on it”
@Docnick–In other words, if I feed the cow “Coreeeeenthian” grain, I will get “Coreenthian” leather. .

“Corinthian leather” was real leather, according to Wiki:

real leather, but just leather

Well, I’ve learned something. I’ve learned that some K-cars had real leather seats and that “Corinthian” means nothing. Well, I actually suspected the second point.

A theology student explained to me that the Cordoba had First Corinthian leather and the K-Car had Second Corinthian leather.

Used to be a good market for deerskin around here (went to Korea,I heard)Not so many Deer here now(too many Bear-the Bear eat the Fawns,big time,plus the Coyotes eat their share)on the plus side,the paucity of Deer has kept my garden safe this year(but the colder weather has throttled the growth back)I heard that Hyundai used the deerskins for seatcovers.
The Folks that know better ,then the populace,reintroduced Otters into the area,now our native fish stocks are basically depleted.
We may not have to wade through animal dung in the streets now,but one cannot say that automobiles,have not had a deleterious effect on the enviroment at times,so in conclusion I must say that even small amounts of pollution can have a large effect on the tiny part of the world sphere we inhabit.(my apologies for the disjointed rambling)

“Didn’t the term Corinthian leather refer to location? Somewhere near Italy I think.”

Actually, Corinth is located in Greece.
Is it “near” Italy?
Well, it would be too far to swim, but I guess that you could make the trip by boat in a few hours.