Tranny oil change when hot!

Acura Integra’s won;t have an external Tranny filter - just drip and refill every 2 years. I have been doing it first thing in the morning partly concerned about being burned by a hot engine.

Today, I did it after a 20mins/8mile drive. Its been in there for 2yrs/8k miles - Tranny has 130k on it.

The oil clearly has plenty of fine metal particles coupled with the smell, I felt that it was worth changing the oil (2yrs/8k!).

Would love to hear your thoughts & experience.

Shifts fine? I am not worried. It’s not my car. Integra? That’s old. Get a new car someday.

1 Like

That is not much time nor mileage on and fluid change. Metal particles in the fluid - not so good! This trans, I think, is on its way out. Start saving up for a rebuilt tranny or new car.

Does if have an internal tranny filter? Most tranny filters are inside…you have to drop the pan to access it.

I agree that it is time for the OP to start saving some big bucks for upcoming expensive repairs.

I don’t think so.

Like @Cavell said that it shifts fine.
Its just that this car was designed this way. Filter is internal.There are after market inline magnetic filters being sold.

The whole reason I posted this is because I was wondering if the car needs to be hot to drain Tranny flui!

Yes it does. I am not worried.

Then why didn’t you actually ASK that question in the original post?

BTW, magnetic drain plugs or filters won’t trap aluminum since aluminum is not magnetic.

2 Likes

Just like Honda transmissions, your Acura automatic transmission doesn’t have a transmission pan.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=8589584&cc=1382790&jsn=352

Black substance in the transmission fluid is just clutch wear.

A shiny substance shows metal on metal wear.

Not good.

Tester

1 Like

The fluid looked purple in sunlight - this is the most concrete observation.
Does this tells you anything to you?

I don’t think anybody could guess what would happen. Eventually the tranny will fail but who knows when. Just maintain it and drive it. Have AAA and a cell phone.