Acura Auto Tranny Maintenance

87 Integra with 152k

About 4 yrs ago, at 140k, I had to replace the tranny (after servicing it with Honda fluid and Redbottle mix).
It turned out, it already had a replacement tranny from junk yard. I bought this car in 1999 with 88k miles. Original tranny done 88k. Second one did 52k but after 20-30k it started issues.

The one installed 4 yrs ago was bought in used part shop - m/c advised me that it is a bit sticky at certain gear, 2nd to 3rd and 3rd to 4th (from memory). I have been changing the tranny fluid every 2 yrs.

Seafoam has an additive. There is this Redbottle. People had advised that trying to improve tranny performance with different fluids can accelerate the issues to complete failure (might have happened 4 yrs ago).

Is anything inexpensive I can do so that the tranny performs better? Means gas saver (won’t run on low gear)?

The only thing you should do is basic fluid/filter service about every 30K miles. Anything else, like additives, may very well do more harm than good.

Always make sure it is exactly the correct Honda-spec fluid.

I think I remember reading somewhere, that transman ( a user in this forum @transman618 ) recommended using an additive for particular situations. Hopefully, he will see that I mentioned him in this discussion and chime in.

He always says a bottle of LubeGuard Red is a good thing. But I believe that is a maintainer thing rather than a “fix” or make anything “better” kind of thing. Its bottle professes to basically protect/prolong the life of the fluid & help keep the fluid cooler.

Frankly, were I in your shoes, I’d drive it till the tranny died and get another one. Integras are a dime a dozen. They made a zillion of them and I still see a lot of them on the road every time I drive. Integras are usually not that problematic in the transmission department - sounds like you’re having bad luck because you keep getting crappy used ones instead of good rebuilt ones.

Cross your fingers and pray to your deity of choice.

An 1987 Integra is not worth putting a replacement transmission in unless you do it extreme low labor rate or yourself.

Good luck with it all.