Took my girlfriends car to walmart and this is how much they filled it with engine oil

toss me in to the mix as a pro who says the oil looks to be where it should be. And I agree with the Walmart tech- seek out a professional local mechanic to take a peek. You don’t appear to have the experience to know what you are looking at, so seek someone who can look and maybe even teach you.
it is good that you are asking- this is how we learn.

your tune may change once you started getting repair/maintenance bills on these monstrosities, lol :slight_smile:

1 Like

LOL. I do actually have two cars with faulty gas gauges. The substitute is reasonably conservative use of a trip odometer.

As for dipsticks, I just like to be able to get my eyes on things.

1 Like

Yes, Yes My truck is like that. I pull the dipstick, wipe it off, then leave it out while I check tire pressures, top off windshield wiper fluid, check other fluid levels. Then I reinsert dipstick, get a good reading of oil level.

3 Likes

@itouring2010, it appears that you don’t know how to read a dipstick. The oil is only up to the mesh area. Above the mesh area, there is oil but only on about half of that area, that is on one side, the other side appears clean. Edit: along one edge.

When the engine is running, oil does slosh up into the dipstick tube. If you are checking the oil level with the engine warm, within a few minutes of shut down, as you should, you will see oil further up the dipstick but only on one side or one edge. The other side or edge will be dry.

Only where the oil fully surrounds the dipstick shows the proper level.

Now for some more info, when you take it in for an oil change, they drain the oil and remove the filter, put on a new filter and refill using the amount of oil specified in the owners manual. If it says 5 qts, then 5 qts is what they put in. Sometimes that will go slightly over or slightly under the max line on the dipstick. This amount of oil will not do any damage to your engine. They would have to put in at least one quart too much before any damage could possibly happen, in most engines it would take even more, and you would have to run it at extended RPM for a length of time before that would happen.

2 Likes

+1
OK4450, our now-departed forum member, was an expert car mechanic, and was also certified as an aviation mechanic. He consistently stated that 1/2 qt–or even 1 qt–over the full mark was not a problem.

While my age-old preference is to use a dipstick, asemaster has a good point in terms of trusting electronics.

Look at how may vehicles today use “drive-by-wire” electronic systems to activate brakes, to control steering, and to control your engine response when you press on the accelerator pedal.

Those are way more critical to vehicle operation and safety than the debate of manual-vs-electronic oil level checking. And yet the public has widely accepted them with out any cause for concern.

I’m fine with the sensor. Just don’t take away my dipstick! (My SAAB has both for oil - which is cool…) I already have one car without a trans fluid dipstick (Prius - and that’s more and more common), and the SAAB’s trans dipstick is this tiny little thing buried very deep - you have to get it from underneath the car, and need the car up equally on all 4 corners to check it. What a nuisance! Just let me get under the hood and check my fluids is all I ask.

1 Like

One worry I’d have is when changing the oil. I drain it all out, then add what I believe to be the correct amount, then before starting the engine I check to make sure it is correct on the dipstick. I definitely don’t want to start the engine if the oil level is too low or too high. Is checking the oil level before starting the engine possible for cars w/electronic oil level sensors?

My riviera had an oil level sensor in addition to the dipstick. It used little or no oil between changes but one day the oil level warning came in showing I was down a quart. I had developed a pan gasket leak which would have been hard to notice without the oil sensor. So I’m a fan of having both.

When I had to have the radiator replaced in my Pontiac due to an accident. I was concerned that trans fluid might have been lost. Having no dipstick i just stopped by my trans shop for a quick check.

Never had any old American steel? Even a Sprinter is smaller. Good luck!

This looks like the dipstick on my Mazda. Ignore the center line on the dip stick. Full is between the two outside lines. While it is hard to see, it does look like the oil level is slightly “over” full but the distance between those lines is less than 1/4 inch. Does anyone think that a couple of extra mm of oil level in the sump is a problem? I don’t, but don’t have your car serviced at “bargain” locations if you care for it.

Did they put in a measured amount? Could be more accurate than the stick.

The level on the dipstick ALWAYS trumps whatever the “measured amount” is in the owner manual or whatever you’re looking at

3 Likes

OH My Goodness! A refrigerator? Maybe it was a dorm-style mini, or maybe not. Wow.

1 Like

Thanks for the photo. It is still very impressive even though it is more dorm-size and not full home refrigerator size.

Some dipsticks have a thick rubber washer at the top. Lose the washer and the stick goes in further. Old car could even have the wrong stick.

I wonder if he hires out. I could use a guy like that for a couple hours.

Off topic but once in a while the stars align . It’s 65 years since buddy holly died in that plane crash and also four chaplains day. When their ship was sinking during the war, they gave up their life vests and went down with the ship.

Refrigerators in The UK, and on the European continent, tend to be MUCH smaller than what is typical in The US. While it is possible to buy a large US-style fridge over there, most people still rely on a fridge that most of us in The US would consider to be a dorm-size box.

2 Likes

Is it a VW? Everything about them seems more complicated and complex than with other brands.