This website has bcome the pits!

I was thinking that I55 was open from St Louis to New Orleans in 1974 @bing. And if you travelled hiway 61 from Memphis to New Orleans you saw the arm pit of America. Bob Dylan and BB King made hits singing about that stretch of black top as it was the home of the Blues. And have you visited New Orleans recently?

I like your explanation . . . !

Umm . . .

WHO might want to chill out . . . ?

Who are these helpful guys and gals you’re referring to . . . ?

:smiley:

1 Like

I worked with a man from North Dakota. I didn’t know until recently that his home town had 2,000 people in those days, the Fifties, and now is down to 1,000.

He said you could see the town from their driveway, 15 miles away. So, no one paid any attention to silly things like speed limits. He said if you lost it, there were no ditches, you just slowed down and drove back to the road. When he was learning to drive, he was driving to town at only around 85 mph on the gravel road. His dad threw a tantrum and told him, “Either drive it or give me the wheel.”

In those days, as you older guys can testify, young lads spent a lot of time around cars at every opportunity.

My buddy said they used to hang around the local mechanic after school. One day, an old farmer came in. The type with bib overalls and his billfold and miscellaneous papers stuffed into the chest pocket like my dad used to do.

He chatted a minute about the weather and crops, which is common in rural areas.

Then, he told the mechanic, “I’d like you to look at my Chrysler. It is cutting out at 115 mph.”

:smiley:

3 Likes

We took mostly the two lane highways. I remember stopping for gas someplace and the guy saw my out of state plates and warned me not to stop in a particular town. Yeah it was a whole new experience.

While I can’t claim to know the exact locations, I recall him saying that he had to visit some VERY remote bases–all by himself. That’s right! The Army–which denied him a sidearm, and also denied him a rifle-cleaning kit for his M-14–chose to send him by himself to some very remote outposts–in a badly-running Dodge pickup–in connection with his job description. He did drive on Highway 1 on several occasions, but most of his expeditions were into very remote hamlets.

Luckily, the Green Berets were always ready to sell sidearms (as well as
anything
else that you wanted), so he was able to buy a .45 automatic from them. And, I had to go to a sporting goods shop to buy a rifle-cleaning kit for him, and then send it via express shipping to his home base in Da Nang.

@VDCdriver, who did your brother pxxx off in the army?

Reminds me on guard duty at Ft. Gordon, they wouldn’t give us M-16s and just billy clubs. They said the clubs were safer because guys would come in and beat up the guards to steal the rifles. Then in other camps we had M-16s for guard duty but no ammo. Figure. Get’s pretty quiet and dark at 2:00 in the morning. At Ft. Bragg once out in the sticks in the middle of the night I saw these dark shadows going around the buildings. Went to investigate and found out they had cattle roaming around at night. Cattle I can take, 6 foot guys with clubs not so much.

God only knows

:unamused:

However, he was awarded both the Bronze Star and the Purple Heart.
He refused the Purple Heart because his combat-related injuries were so minor that he felt that acceptance of that medal would dishonor the gravely-injured soldiers who did deserve it.
He said that his CO was miffed about his refusal to accept the Purple Heart, so maybe it was his CO who decided to make his life difficult and more dangerous.

When I worked for the William J. Burns Detective Agency, one of my brief assignments was as a bodyguard for Jack Nicklaus, at the US Open Golf Tournament in 1968 or 1969 (can’t recall exactly which year). They gave me a very nice-looking S&W .38, but did not include any ammunition. I guess that I (and 3 other guys) were just supposed to take a bullet for The Golden Bear.

Seeing the pistol was supposed to be the deterrent.

Well, I guess that your theory may have been correct, as neither Jack, nor any of his 4 bodyguards, wound up being attacked. It just would have been nicer if Jack had been an amiable person. For somebody who had just won a big pile of cash, you would think that he would have at least been civil to the guys who were protecting him.

I don’t have good memories of Jack Nicklaus, but at least he was a bit more friendly than Julius Boros.
Boros was downright hostile!

I got the anniversary awards also, have 2012, 13 15 16 and now 17, I assume, must have been sleeping in 2014.

RE cats, took off on a snowy morning, all kinds of clunking, and I see a lump in the rear view mirror, Siamese cat must have been sleeping in the engine compartment. A big gash in her head and missing some tail. Took Chainee to the vet and kept her, nice cat.

As a kid we took our cats on vacation, while stopped for gas the white cat, Bitty (itty bitty little kitty) escaped the car. We spent 1/2 looking for the cat and nowhere to be found. Next gas stop bitty runs out from under the car and hid in some bushes, got the cat though no one expected to see that cat again.

Are you kidding me? Cats on a vacation isn’t a vacation
 unless you leave them at the first rest stop.
And I thought owning a dog was a PITA!
Meooow! :smile_cat:
CSA

After 20 years we are down to 2 dogs, ie -2 cats. We go to the cabins and having the cats and dogs was just great. One cat would even play with chipmunks. To keep it car related we would get the cat chorus for the first 1/2 hour of the car trip but after that all was fine.

We never took the cats on vacation or anywhere. The nice thing about cats is that you can leave food and water and milk out and they’ll be fine for a week. Dogs you have to be there every day.

The site looks like it was made for a stupidphone, but not a desktop.

Why do I have to have a Facebook account to comment on the blogs? That is wrongdoing. I should be able to use my Car Talk account.

I do not ever want a Facebook account.

3 Likes

You must not need one because I don’t have one.

4 Likes

I said the blogs, not the community.
I went to the blog on speed limit enforcement and it demanded a Facebook login.