The time has come

And in a few years you can replace your wife with a self driving car. (only for driving of course :stuck_out_tongue: ). Enjoy your elder years and best wishes.

God bless good luck

Th last thing I would want to know is how much time I have left. As for driving, I have already begun †o scale back. I no long drive at night, I doubt I ill make another long road trip and if anyone came to market with a truly autonomous car, I would buy it in heartbeat. It is too bad passenger rail travel is a joke!

It would be easy to live in Switzerland without a car.

Or in new york city

As a trucker, I always tried to avoid going within 75 miles of NYC, still do.

4 Likes

I drove in Manhattan just once which was once too much. But I disliked the subways even more.

In my thirties I returned to college to finish my degree, attending weekend and night classes with other working adults and some young college kids. A communications class assignment one week was for everyone to go see the same movie before the next class the following weekend and analyze it from several specific perspectives. That particular class had a majority of young twenties something women, most of whom had never been outside the St. Louis area. They voted to see the movie Crossing Delancy which is a so called chick flick. We somewhat older class members, especially several men, were not impressed but survived the assignment.

However, the movie has one scene of a NYC taxi ride that was funny, mostly because it was soooo like several NYC taxi rides I’d been on in previous years when we lived in NJ. The uninitiated youngsters thought the scene contrived. But I and several businessmen in the class who had been to NYC and ridden in taxis there insisted it was the most realistic part of the entire movie.

1 Like

I live on long island and dont think I have been to the city in the last 20 years. never liked it. I am just not a city person. the closest I get is taking the bridge to go upstate.

How far out East do you live?

If you know long island I live in deer park on the boarder of Dix Hills. I guess about a half hour away with no traffic. I use to live out in Rocky Point. which was about another half hour east of where I am now.

I drove a taxi one summer in the early 70’s,

1 Like

And yet NYC has been, and continues to be, the financial capital of the world.

I’ve used taxis elsewhere a few times with experiences that were a mix of good, bad, and indifferent, as were the several taxi rides in NYC. It’s navigating through NYC traffic either as a driver or as a passenger that has its own unique Manhattan character.

Going uptown or downtown can be like navigating through a roller derby. Going crosstown is more an exercise in gridlock. At least it was when I was there from '71-'79.

I grew up in a large, crowded city. NYC driving is just fine, believe it or not. My wife just closes her eyes when I drive!
I am leaving now, was on vacation here. Previous yrs, used to stay in CT and drive in, park the car for a day and mostly walk, sometimes took a cab or subway. This time, checked in a hotel in East Village. Only had to take the subway a few times. I like the subway. I think given the crowd, even without a pandemic, a mask might had been a good idea anyway.

Good for you. You made the decision on your own.

Unfortunately I had to take the keys away from my Dad and then a few years later from my Mother-In-Law. Even after her third accident in 2 weeks she still thought she could drive OK.

But family members have to step up and help. Yes it may be inconvenient, but it’s NECESSARY.

1 Like

I was delivering som trees to Detroit and one of the guys from the city crew that unloaded them asked me where I was from and I told him from the Buffalo area.

He said he would not want to live anyplace near NY City.

I pointed out to him that I lived 140 miles closer to Detroit than NY City but would not want to live in either.

I then asked him where the nice section of Detroit was because as many deliveries I had made, I had not found it. He4 though for a while and said Pontiac. I had just delivered some steel for the newly revamped Silverdome there a week earlier.

I don’t want to move to Buffalo, Detroit, or NYC. It has nothing to do with those places, I’ve made a comfortable and happy life where I am now in Central Maryland. I’m close to family and friends. Where you live is what you make of it.

2 Likes

+1
If I want to go to NYC or Philly, I can be there in a bit more than 1 hour. But, I am content to spend my remaining years in a rural part of Central NJ, where the loudest noises are usually the birds… except when my neighbor’s son starts his VW Golf.

And, for those who fear large US cities because they are so “dangerous”, I have to point-out that–despite the media hype to the contrary–the highest rates of violent crime are mostly in smaller cities in the South & the Midwest.

1 Like

Internationally the US is thought of as a high crime country but almost all of it is safe to visit. I used to stay for years in the beach communities of LA and they were quite safe despite the bad reputation LA had for crime at the time.