Today's last caller< Jim

I’m single, widowed, “of a certain age” with a paid for JEEP, and a dog also “of a certain age”. Enjoyed your discussion on your Volkswagon women. Never owned one, but did help my dad jump start his beetle several times…That was the first time I heard my mother swear!

The Beetles of the 1960’s made a lot of people swear. They were simple cars, cheap and plentiful so that’s what I drove a lot in my youth. They would not take a lead footed driver very well so they broke down a lot on me. I sold a couple to my new father-in-law who was a marshmallow footed driver. I don’t think he ever broke down once in all his years of driving them.

I stumbled upon this photo while wasting time online…

Didn’t that SF caller want to put an AirCon in an air cooled Beetle? I wonder why? I mean the high temp predicted tomorrow for SF is 68 degrees. I’m talking August 4. If that’s too warm, a quick drive to the Pacifica beach – about 4 miles away – the high there is predicted to be 64 degrees! So what’s the need for AirCon? ;

More to the point, Tom and Ray were against the Beetle idea b/c they said it wasn’t safe. True, but you gotta compare it to motorcycles which are driven all the time. Life is a compromise. A 60’s Beetle has to be safer than motorcyles you’d think. And I wonder if it is possible to retrofit a 60’s Beetle withfront side air bags? That’s worth researching for someone set on getting a Beetle.

The air cooled Beetles belong with the likes of the Ford Model T and the 80’s and early 90’s Toyota Corolla and Honda Civics – cheap to buy and inexpensive to keep on the road, the People’s Cars.

I can’t seem to start a new thread but wanted to give advice to the guy who has the '58 VW Van that he lives in and has a gas expulsion problem. He should check that he has a vented gas cap. Some cheap aftermarket caps don’t vent the gases properly and they build up or cause the fuel to shoot out like its compressed air.

@Pogel
To start a new thread, scroll to the top of THIS page to the BIG RED BOX on the right which says “ask a question”. That’s how to start a new thread. If you want to start a thread/ask a question etc. on the other boards, click on “topic index” on the left side of the page, then pick the area you want to contribute to. Welcome, hope you stick around!