Old blue has got to go

its time to retire my 75 ford supercab.

his predecessor, old yeller, another 75 ford supercab, was let go years ago. tho his heart, a390cu in motor, beats on in Virginias eastern shore.

anybody want the old feller? 360 motor runs great. new timing chain 3 yrs ago (less than 1000 mi on it). re built carb last yr, transmission good

Thanks anyway. My neighbor might but I’m not telling.

all you need to do is put the electronic ignition in lead and your good for EMPs, I have a mechanical voltage reg. that goes with it

What a shame! Getting rid of an old friend. If I had the money and space Id take her off your hands. Unless of course the price is free.99!

What a deal. That’s almost a classic! I hope whoever gets it is somebody who wants to restore it. My other vehicle is a Ford 4x4 truck just a few years older. I saw an advertisement in one of those classic truck magazines for one just like it, same year, same model, only restored to like-new condition, stock. The price? $25,000.

I doubt you’d make much money restoring classic trucks though, given the amount of time involved, and the time it takes to find the parts, and the parts cost. Anyway, good luck in finding your vehicle a good home.

yes they were both faithful friends and their dog names were apt.

but I just told you about the good parts. not something you could really restore.

the bad part is that I have the knowledge and skill to keep it going as a reliable useful truck. I just don t have the physical ability any more and I don t feel safe with my family in it anymore. and the work and expense just don’t make sense no matter what my heart says. I have a Cherokee to work on and that s enough.

No worries. By contributing here, you can help other folks restore their own trucks.

they won t let me insure it as an antique because it s not show quality. I only have put about 1500 mi on in the last 4 yrs. I may call geico, if they let me insure it that way I may change my mind. it s cheap. I already have antique tags and never have to get inspected again as long as I keep it registered

One major reason I have kept my truck is based on its model year it is immune from California emissions testing. That – and this is something I unfortunately know about all to well – is a huge advantage to owning an older vehicle in Calif.

The other problem @GeorgeSanJose being that the cars/trucks from the first decade of pollution controls were mostly so bad. A truck from just before the controls will be more reliable and easier to repair than one years newer. But I’d feel bad about driving a car or truck from pre-emissions-control days unless it was something I drove very few miles. A lot of old trucks are like that.

I am in enough trouble keeping up with gas prices on retirement income with the cars I have. One more " mouth to feed" would definitely put a lot of pressure on my marriage and especially on my ability to remain a member of two different golf clubs. We all make choices if we aren’t Jay Leno prepared for car ownership for the fun of it and not for practical use. And, such a vehicle serves no practical use for me…and I would guess, many others.

it has many uses for me. just took it to the dump yesterday. i take it to the scrap yard. it was taken camping and fishing. and to pick up large purchases. I sometimes cut peoples grass for them when their mower breaks. I moved a couple yrs ago and it was invaluable.

I d better stop or I ll talk myself into keeping it :slight_smile:

@wesw Anything with a large engine built in the 70s is a huge financial liability, and, if you are an environmentalist, a huge CO2 generator.

We see some of them here, and they are used mainly to tow a camper a few times a year.

If I owned or inherrited such a vehicle, it would be gone quickly.

My vote? Keep it!

By the way, Id love to see a picture of old blue

lol, the only financial liability is the insurance. the truck has made me a lot of money. the parts are cheap and I don t have to pay a mechanic to fix it. I can t afford to replace it with another newer truck.

and yes, it puts out pollution, but some studies say that it is more efficient to keep an old truck running than to build the new replacements.

as I said, the last 3 yrs, it has been driven less than 1000 mi total. if I keep it it will be a special use vehicle, not a daily driver.

if I can figure out how to get a picture on my PC I ll put one up

So it’s decided, she’s staying in the family! Haha. Call the wife and kids and tell them the great news, they’ll be thrilled haha. But yeah, liability insurance is nothing and it sounds like parts and maintenance aren’t bad either. Only thing I would suggest is driving it more often. Sitting around for weeks can have a detrimental effect on it too. The gas and oil degradation and seals and all that good stuff.

Wes, I just take a picture with my cheap digital camera, turn the camera off, plug it into a USB port on my computer, turn the camera on, and the pic get sucked in (follow on-screen prompts).

I went through the same thing with a 1978 Oldsmobile Cutlass Salon with the 4-4-2 package three years ago. I bought the car new in 1978. However, through the years, it lost its status as a road car. The worst thing was that it was rusting out underneath. We really didn’t have room for the car, so I sold it to my neighbor whose son needed transportation. He got a year’s use out of the car. However, during that year, the back bumper fell off because of rust. The car ran, and was driven up and hooked to a wrecker and finally towed away from my neighbor’s house. I don’t know where it went from there.
Had it been a 4-4-2 with the big engine, dual exhausts, 4 barrel carburetor and 4 speed manual transmission, it might have been worth restoring. However, it was a 260 cubic inch V-8, single exhaust, 2 barrel carburetor and automatic transmission. It didn’t attract any attention from the muscle car crowd. The engine ran well at 240,000 miles–never had the head or pan off the engine and it used no oil. The 4-4-2 package did give it a faster steering ratio and firmer suspension. However, it wasn’t a fast car at all. The rear axle ratio was 2.41 to 1, so it was no dragster. It did get reasonably good mileage. However, today’s cars get much better mileage and are faster as well. I like old cars as long as someone else owns them. Restoring that Oldsmobile would have cost about $12,000 for a car that would be worth, at most, $10,000.
I have a friend that bought a museum quality 1948 Frazer and only paid $10,000 for the car.