Tahoe Shutters when accelerating now won't move in drive but reverse only

My 2006 Tahoe (289,000 miles) started making a whining/shuttering noise a few weeks ago. The noise only happened when accelerating or stopping. Yesterday the truck started, and went in reverse, but would not move in drive. Can anyone give me an idea of what the problem may be? I don’t want to pay to have it towed somewhere just to be told its the transmission, which I will not get replaced on such an old vehicle. Any help, would be appreciated!

Is the transmission fluid at the right level? Is it a good (red or pink) color?

I’m going to check, we just got the transmission fluid flushed/refilled about 3-4 months ago.

Transmission fluid level and color are good.

I’d say your transmission is gone to the great beyond. A rebuilt transmission is about $1100 exchange from the auto parts store. Figure the same for labor or a bit more. Is the truck worth $2500 to you? As long as the engine isn’t using oil the 5.3 this truck likely has will go 350-400K with out too much trouble.

I really can’t see it being worth putting $2500 into this truck. I feel like it would make more sense to use that money for a down payment on a newer vehicle that will last much longer. Is it possible its something with the drive train or 4x4 transfer system?

Unlikely, since it moves in reverse. A rebuilt transfer case for this is about the same price as the transmission and the labor to change it is nearly the same. If it is an axle problem, repairing the axle is a $1700 repair with labor. There are no cheap driveline repairs.

Great! Guess I’ll start shopping around for a new vehicle :frowning_face: This couldn’t come at a more spectacular time !

long shot- but is the parking brake on?

Not sure on your Tahoe, but I’ve some Parking brake designs that will allow a vehicle to move in reverse, but will hold it tight in forward gears.

Eddo - I wish that was what it was lol!

Not sure if this changes your mind on the issue, but the truck will drive in low gears…

yeah, sounds like a transmission issue then.