Subaru Legacy 2017

Subaru 2months out of warranty with noisecoming from front do you think dealer will honor warranty or charge for service

Your warranty is done. There is nothing for the dealer to honor. It’s on your dime now.

1 Like

That’s not the answer I was looking for

If you want a fairy tale, as opposed to brutal honesty, you won’t get it from me

4 Likes

I have dealt enough with dealers to understand that you are right

It’ll depend on what the problem actually is. If it’s something quick and cheap to fix, then they’ll probably not want to do anything for you. If it’s a more pricey fix ($1200+) then they might be willing to work with you somewhat, but I doubt they’ll cover the entire thing. My experience with dealership service is they will go out of their way to try to separate as much money from you as they can. Knowing what things should cost can save you money. Don’t blindly assume that they price they give you is what the job should cost. Also if the car is out of warranty, then you’ll almost certainly get a cheaper price from an independent shop.

“Front” covers a lot of ground, so to speak.
Is the noise coming from under the hood, or from the suspension, or… ?

The suspension was covered by the 3 year Bumper-to-Bumper Warranty.
The engine, transmission, and AWD components are covered by the much-longer Powertrain Warranty.

Can you be much more specific, instead of just telling us “front”?
And, under what circumstances do you hear the noise?
Do you hear it…
while starting the engine…
while the engine is idling…
while driving at a steady speed…
when accelerating…
when you hit a bump or a pothole…
when you apply the brake?
:thinking:

3 Likes

So that means you knew the answer to your question before you asked it ?

1 Like

Don’t Subaru’s still have a 5 year, 60,000 mile warranty?

Subaru three years or thirty six thousand

Yes, that is the duration of the Powertrain Warranty.

If you are referring to the “basic” Bumper-to-Bumper Warranty, then–yes–that is correct, but the Warranty on the engine, transmission, and AWD components has a term of 5 yrs/60k miles.

You still haven’t given us any clues so that we can surmise which warranty might apply to your problem. Could you kindly answer the questions that I posed in post #7 of this thread?

Going to mechanic Monday to get his opinion maybe still under some kind of warranty

Update on my noise in front of Subaru Mechanic said it’s coming from steering . Subaru has technical bulletin on this issue so off to a Subaru of America car out of warranty by 2 months dealer won’t help.

What is the fix and cost?

1 Like

Sometimes a dealership will give a customer a discount on a repair if the warranty has just barely run out. But there’s no obligation for them to do it. One idea, don’t beg, instead use “social engineering”. While at the dealership mention you’d like to buy another Subaru some time in the future. And getting a little help from the dealership on this just-out-of-warranty problem would indeed make you feel more confident about the dealership. In other words, leverage on the fact that dealership wants to sell you another car.

According to the technical bulletin there are three easy fixes if that doesn’t work whole steering unit has to be replaced about 3,000$. My mechanic called the dealer they would not bother car is out of warranty so I will see what Subaru of America might do for me

I had some “we will chip in for 50% of your bill” from Subaru Corporate on the car around 1 month off the warranty.

I told them “hey, it was showing signs something was wrong, but I did not have a chance to get it to dealer before warranty lapsed, this is my 5th Subaru, anything you guys can help with?”.

They said “absolutely, let us get 50% on the house”, but the funny part was that the bill was right on the spot of what independent mechanic quoted me… but at least I felt good about it :slight_smile:

1 Like

Spoke with Subaru sending me back for an appt and will be in touch with dealer whenappt is made

Keep us informed.

I will going to the dealer tomorrow