Head Liner Problem - 2011 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Premium

I have separation between the headliner and the back window of my vehicle. It is not a complete separation, but is getting worse. This is only a 2 year old vehicle, so this is disappointing to say the least.

The dealership is telling me that I need an entirely new headliner and the total for that including labor would be $850.

Two questions:

1. Should this be happening on a 2 year old vehicle. My guess is that this is rare and should not be happening, but maybe this is something other with this model have experienced.

2. Is there a way to fix this without completely replacing the head liner?

No, that shouldn’t be happening. I’ve had Subarus since 1984 and have never seen the headliner come down.
That’s clearly a manufacturer’s defect. What possible kind of wear and tear can there be on a headliner? There’s no way they can say that is normal.

If the dealer doesn’t want to help you, I’d contact Subaru of America and see if they’re willing to perform a good faith repair.

Yeah, why is this not a warranty repair?? This should 100% be covered under the bumper to bumper… Unless they are saying you did something to cause it.

It is not a warranty repair because the vehicle has 48K miles, so although I am within the time frame, I am over the miles. Also, it is not covered under the extended warranty.

I have spoken with Subaru of America and they are looking into this and hopefully will be able to help me out.

Do you live in an extremely hot part of the country? If the rear glass is facing the sun much of the time things like this can happen.

About all you can do is hope that SOA comes through with a good will warranty.

If SOA doesn’t help, then take it to a body shop and see what they can do. May save you some $$.

Subaru of America wins the Gold Medal for customer service today. They are providing a full warranty on the new head liner.

Thanks to the people that told me to contact them.

Excellent. Glad it worked out for you.
It would frankly surprise me if SOA left you hanging.

Great news, since the headliner has nothing to do with mileage it was a good call on there part… Glad to hear they steped up !