Subaru Forester cruise control

Have a 2002 Forester with 100K miles on it. The cruise control stopped working the other day while on a long drive. The main on/off switch on the dashboard appears to be working & illuminates when pressed, but he cruise control will not engage when the lever on the steering wheel is pressed.

The Check Engine light hasn’t come on & the car is otherwise running normally.

Any suggestions on common culprits?

I do have a code reader, but haven’t hooked it up to see if any codes are in the memory.

Check to see if there are any brake lights out. If there are, it’ll prevent the cruise control from working.

Tester

Thanks. I’ll start there. Wouldn’t have thought that having a brake light out would “take out” the cruise control

Another common problem is the adjustment of the disconnect switch on the brake pedal. If it isn’t set correctly it will cause the cruise system to think the pedal is pushed down and turn off the system.

Wouldn’t have thought that having a brake light out would “take out” the cruise control

It is connected to that system because it needs to shut the cruse off if you press the brake. As with all things cruse the default is off unless everything is working.

All the brake lights are working, so that’s not the culprit.

I’ll check the switch on the brake pedal to see if it needs adjusting. I’m all for simple fixes!