2002 Toyota Corolla - Electrical issues

My brake lights will not turn off even though the switch tested good. Subsequently the cruise control stopped working about the same time I noticed the brake lights. I’m not sure the cruise is factory.

Thanks for the input e1 but I did the same as all you have any went to the obvious. I’m not familiar with working on cruise controls but I I do know the break switch is installed and operating properly. Even stewed out of the mounting position the switch will not disconnect the light circuit. The CC must be letting the lights stay on. Thank you. I’m reaching brain

The most interesting part to me is the last part. Have never heard of aftermarket cruise control.

They used to be VERY popular in the early 80’s since so few cars came with them.

1 Like

The cruise control is tied to the brake light switch, when it goes on, it turns off the cruise control.

I’d disconnect the cruise control as a first step, see if that fixes the problem with the brake lights.

No kidding? I had no idea. May look into that more. Thanks

That is because the cruise cuts off when the brake light switch is ON. You may have a problem with a simple adjustment of the switch. It can be moved in its bracket to adjust it to turn on at the proper time. Try that first.

Also, have you had problems with you brakes? Problems that cause the brake pedal to be lower than normal?

The J.C. Whitney catalogue used to list aftermarket cruise control, but I was never tempted to buy one of these mystery devices. I put that type of purchase in the same category as condoms from a dollar store.
I can’t afford to save money like that.
:thinking:

One idea, disconnect the brake light switch (temporarily, as a test) and see if the brake lights turn off then or not. Might provide a clue. You may have a short circuit somewhere between the brake light switch and the brake lights. From what I see your brake light switch is just a simple momentary push switch, and should be easy enough to test with an ohm meter. When the brake pedal is depressed, should measure low ohms. Brake pedal released, high ohms. On the 2-pin non-cruise control version, that ohms test is pretty much bullet proof, but the version with the cruise control there are four pins and it is more likely that test was performed incorrectly. My guess is a faulty or incorrectly adjusted brake light switch.

From what you said about the problem I assume that the brake lights remain ON even when the car is parked and ignition is OFF. To absolutely prove that the brake switch isn’t causing the issue simply disconnect the wiring to the switch. If the lights only are on when the ignition is ON then this means that the power is getting bridged to the brake light circuit after the ignition switch power. Power to the brake light circuit normally is always HOT to the brake switch so they turn on when the pedal is pushed, even while the ignition is OFF. If the lights turn on when the ignition is ON you can start pulling fuses in the dash panel to see which fused circuit will kill the lights and determine which circuit is causing the trouble. One thing you might try doing is cycling the emergency switch and the turn signals to see if they make a change to the issue. Both are tied to the brake lights circuit. Another hint is if the middle brake light isn’t turning on while this problem is happening, then the emergency light and turn signal circuits are really suspected for the trouble.

You can still buy base model vehicles without cruise control. I own one and that is really the only thing I miss. It is a 2015 Mitsubishi Mirage. I would assume base models of the Nissan Versa may be the same.

I have looked into adding it and it isn’t hard at all. You basically buy the controls new or from a salvaged vehicle of a higher trim level with cruise and it is pretty plug and play to install. Apparently the base model is made with all the wiring and computers to run the cruise control but excludes the controls.

Thanks for the input e1 but I did the same as all you have any went to the obvious. I’m not familiar with working on cruise controls but I I do know the break switch is installed and operating properly. Even stewed out of the mounting position the switch will not disconnect the light circuit. The CC must be letting the lights stay on. Thank you. I’m reaching brain

The cruise control isn’t causing the brake lights to stay on. I suggest you carefully read my previous post to find clues to the real trouble.