Stuck in Park, abs and esc off lights are staying on. Replaced Alternator, battery, brake light switch, brake lights are working. Also changed out bad alternator fuse

2006 hyundai Sonata, Stuck in Park, abs and esc off lights are staying on. Replaced Alternator, battery, brake light switch, brake lights are working. Also changed out bad alternator fuse.

You might try actually having a mechanic look at it. Because its going to get expensive just throwing parts at it. Just a thought.

1 Like

Have you had the DTC and ABS codes read? If so, post them here in their number format (ie:P0123)

If you haven’t checked all the fuses yet then I suggest you do that next. I think you are going to have to check the circuit that supplies power to the solenoid for the shifter.

1 Like

what was original issue?
you replaced battery. so, no crank?
alternator was bad? that killed battery?
motor will start and run now? cant shift out of park?
i turn ign to acc and press brake and i can shift out of park.

I suggest that you replace the wiper blades, check the tire pressure all the way around and vacuum out the trunk. While that won’t be anymore successful at correcting the problem than previous efforts it will be much cheaper.

And my first effort at correcting the problem would have been removing the console cover and testing the shift lock solenoid… That is after confirming there is one and acquiring a schematic of the wiring to operate it.

1 Like

I agree with @Cougar somewhere along the line during your parts replacements a fuse or fuses have most likely blown… Not hard to figure out. Look into this idea first and foremost.

I don’t have the data for this but I assume that the same power that ties to the brake lights also supplies power to the shifter lock solenoid. If that is correct then it seems that there may be a fault in that circuit somewhere. I doubt that the solenoid is bad but it is possible.

Somewhere in your owners manual should be instructions for bypassing the shifter lock solenoid. It might be a slot next to the shifter that you stick your key in or a small cover next to the shifter you remove to access a button.

1 Like

from hyundai/sonata website:
“There is a module 2 places behind the HVAC control head… I had 1 that was giving me fits, then part manager say “we been selling a load of these modules to the rental places”… replaced the module, out of park it came…”
not sure what that means? yes i have heard of the term “module” before. where it is?