Should Mavis have replaced my tyre for free?

I’m just guessing, but by the way the OP spells tyre, they’re not in the states, So maybe the don’t warranty tires outside the states.

1 Like

Didn’t catch that. Thanks.

It appears from Mavis’s website that they do business only in The US:

"Mavis continues to grow with the acquisition of Cole Muffler Brake in 2008, Somerset Tire (STS) in 2015, Kauffman Tire in 2018 and its recent merger with Express Oil and Tire Engineers allows it to keep pace with changing market demands and conditions. Today, over 700 bright, clean, fully equipped service centers can be found in 13 states, see locations.

Mavis Discount Tire is one of the largest independent multi-brand tire dealers in the United States and offers a menu of additional services including brakes, alignments, suspension, shocks, struts, oil changes, battery replacement and exhaust work."

+1
As I noted earlier, Consumer Reports compiled customer satisfaction ratings on tire retailers a few years ago, and Mavis was ranked dead last.

1 Like

I called the manager of mavis and told him what I’ve learned from this thread. He said the tires were not purchased with hazard insurance but that he now added it to the replacement tire for the future. I smell poop with this.

I’ll definitely not shop with him anymore. I’m ending my 15 years of relationship with his business.

Also, his computer cannot find me in his system when I told him I bought a single tire from him last year. I just don’t get it.

Are you going to register your tires with Continental to take advantage of the 12 month road hazard coverage?

Hello. How do I go about doing that ? How do I register them ? I have no idea about how this stuff works. My apology.

In the link click “Enroll Now”.

1 Like

Thank you.

Brand new tires with essentially zero miles on them, if you can and it’s safe, why don’t you plug them yourselves if they won’t replace them for free.

Or better yet, the patch in the inside of the tire.

Sounds like a blowout, not repairable.

2 Likes

Yoshi , it is one tire and it was damaged beyond repair by hitting a pothole . I doubt if there is any tire shop that would attempt a repair . Also the tire has been replaced.

It is a blowout :+1:

The Lexus IS calls for PSI 36. But while driving it gets inflated to 44 PSI.

Do you think this caused the tire to blowout easier when hitting a pothole? Also it is unclear what caused the blowout. I felt an impact ( similar to a gunshot ) and a loud explosion when the incident happened in the night on the highway.

Honestly, I don’t know what happened.

Does this sound like a simple puncture?

Higher pressure would have reduced the chance of a blowout. What happened was you hit a pothole with a low-profile tire, they are easily damaged.

2 Likes

no. Increase in tire pressure is completely normal as the tire warms up from normal driving. If you read the tire pressure on your door jamb or even on the tire itself, it says “36psi cold” meaning when the tire is cool from sitting for a while (usually, overnight.)
That’s when you are supposed to check/modify your tire pressure for best results.

3 Likes

My bad. You guys are right. I missed that part. I agree with you guys. Sounds like need new tire.

In SC, the DOT has reimbursed drivers for pothole damage.

1 Like

I don’t believe the cause of the tire damage has been identified;

Could have been something like a piece of 2X4 lumber on the road.

Michigan DOT says they do too, but good luck actually getting them to pay.

In NYC, the powers-that-be will only pay for pothole damage if that pothole has already been reported to them–by someone/anyone. So, a few years ago, a guy created his own online central pothole registry, and he forwards drivers’ pothole complaints daily to the city’s DPW. Once that site went into effect, they started having to pay a LOT more claims for pothole damage.

1 Like