Rearview Mirror Repair

HI,

I have a 1998 Nissan Altima and I accidentally knocked off my rearview mirror yesterday. When I took it to the mechanic today, he said that I had to wait until it was over 60 degrees to ensure that the repaired mirror will stick.

1. Is this true? If so, I will be stuck, since it is now 30 degrees in Wisconsin.

2. Can I replace this myself?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

1. Yes. Any auto parts store will have a rear view mirror glue kit.

2. Read the directions on the back of the kit. Chances are, yes, you’ll have to wait until it’s a certain temp. But there are such things as heated shops / garages, so ask around and find someone who will let you stow your car inside for a few hours so it can be the right temp.

Doesn’t your mechanic have a heated garage?

It’s simple: Put the car in a heated garage and let it warm up. Then glue the mirror to the windshield. You can do it or a mechanic can do it, but the car has to be warm enough for the glue to stick.

You may be able to do this yourself if you have:
A garage
A lamp that you can aim
A heating bulb above your shower

Borrow the heating bulb and set the lamp on your hood such that it is aimed at the windshield. When the windshield is warm to the touch on the inside where you need to glue on the slug for the mirror, you should be ready.

If you can get hold of the correct glue for this job, be careful with that stuff. It is SuperGlue on steroids. You could end up semipermanently stuck to your windshield.