Problem with aftermarket power windows and locks

I bought a 2008 Silverado 1500 WT that had an aftermarket power door locks and windows installed when I purchased. I am recently having problems with the motor on the passenger side failing and can’t seem to find a replacement motor. I guess I just don’t know exactly what to call it when searching. Anyone have any suggestions? Also, I started having problems with the door locks this week. I came out with the key fob and it would not lock/unlock the doors. I got in the truck, went to town, and the key fob worked the locks fine. Got home, and they were again not responding. This has been the case all week. I can get in the truck and drive all over town making numerous stops and the key fob works the locks without fail. I pull back in the drive way and then it is a dead issue. Anyone have any theories/suggestions?

I think your truck is telling you to not go home… :rofl:

Have you removed the window motor to see if any stickers/part numbers on it??? Aftermarket could have used any combination of parts including there own design for the window motor/reg… Is the motor serviceable, meaning can it be taking apart and new brushes installed etc??
May see if you can find an installer to see if they know anything about them…

Maybe try Googling universal power window kits replacement parts and see if anything looks like your setup…

On the door locks (and motor?), possible damaged wire, check the wiring routing through the door and A pillar?..

Other than that I got nothing right now…

I have only one wild idea. Do you use led lights at home? Led lights can interfere with garage door openers so maybe it’s possible to interfere with the fob signal. Mine work fine though with leds.

1 Like

I do use LED bulbs. I have recently replaced a bulb in an area near where I park, but it is off. The other bulbs have been there for some time without interfering. I was thinking of something that might be interfering with the radio transmission.

There could certainly be something causing interference if the problem occurs only at certain locations.

Rock Auto appears to offer a variety of replacement window motors for an 08 Silverado 1500, ranging in price for $40 to $110 from what I see. $110 version is the AC Delco. Surf over to rockauto.com, type ‘2008 silverado 1500’, select the engine configuration, then ‘window motor’

Or are you saying the oem window motor won’t work b/c non-oem windows have been installed? If so, you always have the backup of reinstalling oem windows, from an auto recycler etc.

The inexpensive conversion kits are nothing like the factory units. The motors are mounted in a remote location and a drive unit is installed over the window crank shaft.

The windows for power/manual are no different.

Are you saying these conversion kits convert manual-crank windows to electric-motor crank windows? Otherwise, I wonder why anyone would bother installing an aftermarket kit?

Because they want power windows . It is done a lot .

You should know this from all those TV shows you watch.

My olds had something like a clogged nylon strip that operated the window. I caught it on fire welding on the door. No problem,the dealer had it in stock.

Chevys WT is the work-truck trim ,basically designed for fleet and those looking for the most cost effective new truck and or the bean counters (owners) could buy to give you a truck to carry the tools of the trade and parts in it, but didn’t care if you had crank windows or not…
Then when the truck is sold the new owner who got a great deal on the truck after it had served it’s time with the past company etc now thinks, crank windows suck lets add electric ones…

Or you can have an older classic car that didn’t have power window etc and you add them for your comfort…

1 Like

If George’s car had power windows, he would convert them to manual operation.

4 Likes

Now now. I haven’t been to the back to the 50s show for a couples years for various reasons, but over 10,000 64 and older cars of all kinds. Customs, stock, etc. I’d venture to guess tha a good part of the restored ones all have after market power windows. Ac too. I you’re gonna spent $50,000 on a 56 ford, power windows and ac is a small part. My bil s 56 pick up had both.

I’d be on that like white on rice … lol …