Window problem chevy truck

I bought a 2008 Chevy 1500 WT that had aftermarket power windows and locks installed before I purchased it. The passenger door window motor got to the point it would roll down but needed help getting back up. I bought a replacement kit and I have the same results, the motor goes down slower than before and needs help getting back up. Is there somewhere that may have corroded up and needs attention I am not thinking of? I know the door used to collect water in the panel when it rained (like my 2009 work Tahoe, I hear it sloshing around after a heavy rain). I know it could be possible I got a bad motor since the first motor I tried is dead. I tried this one before installing and it appeared fine.

There lies the problem.

Not OEM.

Tester

1 Like

The cables in the window regulator are binding. A replacement window regulator is inexpensive, you can clean out the inside of the door when you replace the regulator.

1 Like

Let’s get one thing straight . . .

Did this truck leave the factory with manual wind-up windows . . . ?

And then somebody installed some power window “retrofit” kit on the truck . . . ?

That is correct db. It had hand crank windows and someone installed a universal kit on it. The window seems like it’s in a bind or rubbing on something going up/down and I don’t see anything. That’s why I was asking is there something to lubricate or check for corrosion.

okay

Is this a scissors type or cable type?

If it’s a scissors type, I would sparingly lube the scissors mechanism and the gears with some #2 wheel bearing grease

If it’s a cable type, there won’t be much to lube, imo

No bent rails or guides?

I guess a “quick” check would be to entirely disconnect the glass from the regulator and determine if you can even slide it up and down without binding

Have you raised the window with the mechanism exposed? If not, take off the door card and plastic water shield and exercise the window. You may see something binding or another problem that causes the window malfunction.

You can clean and relube the guide channels and the regulator parts. In my experience, this only lasts a short period before needed attention again. Replacing the regulator is a better long term choice…

I have the cable type. I tried lubing the channels the window rides in and the metal the windows slide up and down on. I got a momentary relief and then nothing again. I think a new regulator it is.

1 Like

Now here is a question I have after searching for the regulator, could I purchase a replacement regulator for a pre-existing electric window and wire that to what is currently there since it is wired for a motor now? I know the locations of the motor are different, but the wiring is there, I would just need to adapt it to what is there.

By “pre-existing” do you mean an oem version?; i.e. for a regulator that would have been installed at the factory for trucks configured with electric windows?

The OEM type window regulator should fit in the door the same as the manual regulator. Rock Auto has the motor connector for $15.

Yes, that is what I was referring to.

The OP above mentions the window-motor is located in a different location w/his current configuration. Wondering if the oem regulator will be compatible with existing motor?

Most aftermarket window regulators come with a motor.

1 Like