Power Sliding Door Problem

The passenger side sliding power door on my 2002 MPV does not work properly. Before I took it for repair, it would open, but not close electronically. I took it to the dealer and the roller assembly was replaced. Now,the door unlatches but will not open electronically. I was told I would need a whole new power door slider unit (with motor) for an overall cost of $1300. I was also told that I shouldn’t have been opening these power doors manually. There is no indication of that in the car manual and there is even a button to turn off the power to the doors in order to open/close them manually. I’m thinking of getting a second opinion from a different dealer or a repair shop that has experience with power door repair. Any suggestions or thoughts about this topic would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Joani Hamilton

I agree with your thinking Joani. A shop that states you shouldn’t use the manual door handles is a warning flag to me. This statement to me means that they don’t know what the real problem is and can only fix this by replacing everything and charging you a lot of cash. I would be looking for another shop to handle this problem also. I suspect that the wiring to the motor has a problem and that would be a simple repair job.

I couldn’t agree more with your decision to look elsewhere.

I have a van with power sliding doors and they may well work the same way.

When you push the switch (or pull the door handle) to activate the door actuator motor, the power goes to one side of the motor (open door mode) and activates the motor to open the door.

When you hit the switch again, power goes to the opposite side of the motor switch and closes the door.

It’s possible the power wire at the switch is faulty or the wire to the motor is loose/broken or the connection is corroded.

You are also correct about the override switch shutting power off to the door, so as to enable manual use. Use the door manually until the mechanism is fixed.

There is a sliding door control module behind the right quarter trim panel that may have a trouble code stored. (self-diagnostic capability)

If you have (or had) small children in and out of the van, you may want to check for foreign objects lying in the bottom door track. You said they replaced the roller assembly. Top and bottom?
IF they did, any foreign objects (small toys, etc) should have been removed.

It wouldn’t hurt to clean the door plungers and striker plate contacts. Use a very light sandpaper (emery cloth) or electrical contact cleaner.

I’d recommend taking the van to a reputable independent tech/shop for the repair and stay away from that inept mechanic.

If you don’t know of one, ask friends/co-workers and family to recommend one.

Let us know how this turns out.

Thank you SO MUCH for the responses. I greatly appreciate the mechanical details. Currently, I’m opening the door manually. When my son comes home from college for the summer and we feel the need to use that door more often, I might change my mind about getting it repaired, though.

I agree with the guys. The shop has no clue. This is apples and oranges but GM vans have a history of power door problems and a good tech. adjusts the latch or striker. it could be something simple…like changing shops. Some dealerships make marketing calls to see if your visit was good. Take advantage of this.

What has GM got to do with the van in question?

A 2002 MVP is a Mazda.

How about posting some solid fact here (about GM van sliding door problem history) with that trigger happy typing finger.

What has GM got to do with the van in question?
If you would have read the post the part that says “this is apples and oranges” would have told you this (anyone would have known this)that this is not really related but it is a comparison. I do agree that it is not worded well.

A 2002 MVP is a Mazda.
DUH!!!

How about posting some solid fact here (about GM van sliding door problem history) with that trigger happy typing finger.
Ok son, Gm power sliding doors, when using the power mode, closes and then the latch backs the door out so the rear portion of the door sticks out past the side panel. Therefore the door appears unlatched and there is an air leak. When the power is off and the manual mode is used the door latches perfectly fine.

In the future it would be wise and/or mature for you to ask for a clear explanation of a post when it is unclear. I do admit my post was worded all wrong. So you think I have a trigger happy typing finger? Well kid, the pot is calling the kettle black. I bet you do not know what that means. Please do not be so mean spirited in the future as it only shows a lack of character and immaturity.

I dare say you are somewhat presumptuous in your thinking, son (kid, etc).

Like you said, you worded your post all wrong.

What you say concerning the ‘fact’ I asked for is nothing more than a problem someone posted on a forum somewhere.

There has never been any documented proof (fact) that GM vans ever had a power sliding door fault as the one you suggested.

The only documented proof of a GM power sliding door was a recall for a need to replace the inside door handle that had a poor design.

Children, when attempting to open the door were getting their hands caught in it as the door slid back.

My 2000 Olds Silhouette also had this recall.

Ok roadrunner, I should not have been condensending in saying son & kid. The animosity stops here. with no ill will let me explain.

What you say concerning the ‘fact’ I asked for is nothing more than a problem someone posted on a forum somewhere. I have never seen this posted on here but I have encountered this several times in my shop. I’m not saying I have seen hundreds of them but they are out there.

There has never been any documented proof (fact) that GM vans ever had a power sliding door fault as the one you suggested. There does not need to any documented proof to see there is an issue here. There is no recall and I have never seen a TSB on this, but hey… thats how they get TSB’s, By getting enough problems and complaints.

Now with that said we both posted things that were better left unsaid. Lets drop it and forget it.

this is why there is more than one mechanic we can use. sometimes we get off on the wrong foot… er finger… er impression. nowhutimean?

true…true

Agreed.