Oil filter

what is the best oil filter to use.

You are going to get answers all over the place in response to a question like this, simply because many guys have a favorite filter brand, just as they have a favorite tire brand. Some will tell you to avoid Fram filters, based on some old wives’ tales that won’t die. Others will tell you that only Wix filters are good, while others will condemn Wix filters.

In my experience, as long as you avoid the “white box” filters, which are made in China and have no brand name listed, you will be buying a decent-quality filter.

They all do the same thing. Get the one on sale.

The only way you can get a “white box” filter is to have a quick-lube place install it calling it a “private brand” which translates to no brand…

Since the filter manufacturing process is almost entirely automated, the unit labor cost so low, there is little advantage to making them in China…You will gain little by trying to determine “The Best” because they are all pretty much the same…

I Recommend Mopar Filters For Your Jeep.
CSA

That’s a tricky question. I’ve read that some of the NAPA filters are just rebadged Wix and are very good. I use Super Tech (Wal-Mart store brand) oil filters, which I think are made by Champion Labs. They seem well-made and work well for me.

You can get a Mopar filter for your Jeep at Wal-Mart. Given the opportunity, I will use OEM filters (Mopar for Chrysler vehicles, ACDelco for GM, Motorcraft for Ford, etc). I always use Motorcraft filters on my Windstar, mostly because I can get them at Wal-Mart for about 20 cents more than a Super Tech or Fram filter. Other than that, the best ones I’ve used (based solely on my opinion and reputation of the manufacturers from what I have heard) are Purolator and Napa Gold (made by Wix). I used Napa Gold for a long time when they had a $1.99 sale with a coupon. I got as many coupons as I could and stocked up.

I agree that all brand name oil filters are good; have been watching and listening for years to learn of a current filter that stands out from the others to definitely enhance the life of an engine but have not heard nor seen anything of substance.

There are standard filtration tests including a standard contaminant to which any reputable filter mfr has access. A testing facility for oil filters should not be overly complicated nor extremely expensive to set up and operate. Consider that long ago, car engines did not have oil filters or used a simple metal screen. When serious oil filters first came into use, some were bypass filters that did not filter the oil that went directly to engine bearings etc. Now all oil is filtered every time before pressuring engine parts.

Google “one pass oil filter test” but be skeptical of sites that measure everything except performance.

I’m sure there are some filters that are better than other’s, but I usually use whatever I can buy the cheapest. One of my cars has over 518K miles on it and over it’s lifetime I’ve probably used 10 or more different brands oil filter on it. Currently I’m using some AC Delco filters I bought at flea market for $1. each. I have 5 cars that use the same filter and currently have about 60 filters of various brands on hand that I’ve bought at flea markets, store closeouts, and yard sales most for $1 or less each.

As others have said, get a name brand. I prefer Wix but others are just as good. And, again as others have said, don’t buy the “salt water salvage” filters.

I just use OEM and don’t worry about it (AC & Honda). Even when I drove 50K a year I used OEM but really for most people, how many filters can you use in a year, and what do you really save going non OEM?

When I buy my own I get a Fram or a slightly more costly Fram, usually at Wal-Mart. Since engines don’t even really need anything more than a fine metal screen, almost any filter that doesn’t fall off will do.

The best one is the one changed on schedule. Other than that the differences are minimal

http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oilfilters/reference.html

Here’s something you might find interesting:

According to the dissection, Mopar and Purolator “Premium Plus” appear to be the same filter. You might just go with whichever of these are cheaper.

Personally, I’ve used Wix filters for years and found them to be very good.

I’m curious.

How does one know whether or not an oil filter is good - and how does one determine how one brand is better than another?

I always change the oil filter when I change the oil on my vehicles every six months. It seems to me that unless an oil filter had some type of major defect that caused pieces of the filter to clog the engine it would be difficult to detect a problem if you were to change filters as often as I do.

I drove a VW Super Beetle for 35 years. The “filter” was a metal screen.

Would the Beetle have lasted longer if the Beetle had some other type of filter?

Joe Guy — "I'm curious. How does one know whether or not an oil filter is good - and how does one determine how one brand is better than another?"
One can't know and one can't determine. The discussion is hearsay.

My needs from a filter are that it goes on easy, it seals properly and to come off easy. I have seen/heard of a lot of trouble when the old gasket was stuck and not taken off, otherwise a regular filter installed properly does it for me.

While the majority seem to feel that just about any filter will do, I have a slightly different approach. I go to the dealer, and buy filters in bulk (normally 2 or more will get me a discount of some sort). The difference is a few dollars, sure, and over the years that would add up, sure. I’d still rather use what the manufacturer recommends (as long as they’re available), than just get “whatever” filter from wherever. It’s a simple choice for me. Yes, I could get the one from Wally-World, I could the any number of others. I’d just prefer to use the dealer spec’d filter.

For my older vehicle where the dealer no long provides the filters, I tend to get a Fram. I guess that’s because Fram is the only one who makes a filter to fit this old bike.

“It seems to me that unless an oil filter had some type of major defect that caused pieces of the filter to clog the engine”

I had one spring a leak at the seam.
Luckily I spotted this in time on a road trip ~700 miles from home.