Oil filter

I always get the one on sale with the ‘Oil Change Special’ at my parts store. I’m particular towards Castrol GTX, so I stock up when it goes on sale. Typically with a Fram or Purolator filter, although last time was with an STP filter.

PS, OEMs don’t make filters. Toyota filters are made by Purolator. IIRC, AC-Delco are made by Allied-Signal, makers of Fram.

Yes, I know Toyota filters are made by someone else. It can be very helpful for the service manager and parts people to know you, though. Example: I had a “hum”,that I couldn’t locate. I’d checked all the usual suspects, and everything seemed smooth. Took it to the dealer on Saturday, and agreed to the $95 diagnostic. They located a bad front bearing (I checked them…really, I did), and said that was the only fault. It was a pretty expensive part (with a $300 install fee), so I said I’d do the install myself…I have access to a press and everything else I need.

He (the service manager) said no problem, and I went back to sit and wait for it. He came out an hour later, said all done, and handed me the keys (and the bill, of course). He also told me he had the mechanic just do the install. I wasn’t too happy about that, imaging the bill to be growing by the minute.

They billed me for a partial diagnostic ($50), and the part. But not the installation.