Oil Filters?

Recently on the 1986-1989 Accord fansite 3geez.com people have started posting about problems they’ve had with certain brands of oil filters like Fram. I was wondering what oil filters people on here use and what they recommend. Thanks

Well, here’s the oil filter study. Enjoy. http://www.knizefamily.net/minimopar/oilfilters/index.html

The only filter I use is Wix.

~25 years ago I used a Fram filter on my '75 Civic. It started leaking around the seam. Now I only use Honda filters in my Honda And toyota filters in my Toyota.

I used to own an 02 Hyundai Accent, and I used the Motomaster oil filters from Canadian Tire. However, after a second one failed on me, I vowed to never use Motomaster again. Now I use Quaker State.

By the way, the failure wasn’t in the filter, but the filter gasket - it began to leak after about 3000km, and I end up with a puddle of oil on the ground. The first time it happened (when I was on a road trip in Calgary, Alberta) I figured it was a fluke. After the second failure (which I discovered when I was about to go home from work) I began to think that maybe the filter was bad. So far, I’ve had no problems with Quaker State filters.

Are those real problems or are they amateur evaluations of the filter’s construction?

There have been all kinds of people who have taken the filters apart or seen photos of the filters taken apart and they see how cheap they look. Frankly they are cheaply made. However they work just fine. I have yet to see any valid test or data to indicate that the cheap (inexpensive) filters are in any way functionally inferior to the brands they like.

it is not the oil filter that is the problem, but the incorrect installation (too loose, or too tight) that determines the problems.

it just a mechanically made, mass produced item. there will be failures, and faults. but by and large they are fine, and do the job.

imho, it is the LACK of oil/ filter changes that causes the problems.

be honest. how many of your friends actually do oil changes at 3 to 4k intervals? how many do them only when they happen to think of it regardless of mileage? these forgotten long interval oil changes let filters get baked onto the car, let the oil sludge up and help kill engines.

Yeah, you’ve basically summed up what people have been saying. But I wanted more opinions from another source to get a better idea. Thanks.

The oil filter study measures almost everything except how well a filter performs.

You who have gasket leaks need to wet both edges of the filter gasket with oil prior to installation.

Frams are disliked by some but I have used them for many years with never a problem.

Can the OP be more specific about problems?

I have even used the cheapest filters from NAPA and had no problems. Their better filter are good ones and were made by WIX which is good quality. If you buy AC filters, you may have problems. I suspect counterfeiting problems with that brand. Used a lot of FRAM’s. Now I buy their upgraded ones.

Some valid points have been made. Yes, Fram oil filters are cheaply made. Most oil filters have metal caps on the ends of the filter. Fram used cardboard instead. Does this create a danger of damaging your car? It has not been proven. I, however, believe that this is reason enough not to use Fram oil filters. I buy Honda oil filters for both my Civic and my Honda Shadow motorcycle. I bought one of each from the respective dealerships to get the part numbers and after that I ordered them online to save money. Even though cardboard caps in the filter have not been proven harmful, I take pride in taking good care of my vehicles. This is my reasoning for avoiding cheaply made parts and materials.

FRAM actually makes one of the Honda oem filters for cars :slight_smile:

Personally, I just use OEM filters (from the dealer or my indy shop). The after-market brands may be OK, but they are all very inexpensive so it’s not worth messing with after-market.

Which one?

Honda, Toyota, Nissan…all farm out their filters to filter makers. They bid on the contract every 5 years or so. Fram has been making filters for Honda, Toyota and Nissan for years. So has Purolator and Champion Labs, and Denso.

I’ve been using OEM filters for my Toyota. Not because I think they’re any better…but because the dealer sells me a case at a cost of $3/filter. Very difficult to beat that price.

Actually I found just the opposite with that. Wife had a 87 Accord…I had always used a Fram filter. One day I couldn’t find a Fram so I used a Purolator…It leaked. Replaced with Fram…no more leak.

If you take a look at the Accord where the filter mounts…there’s this small grove the filter gasket fits into. The Purolator filter was about 1/32" smaller then the Fram filter…thus it didn’t fit correctly into that grove.

After some research…I found that Purolator was making ONE FILTER for several different applications. The Purolator filter for the 87 Accord also is made for the Mazda…where as Fram makes a separate for the Mazda.

I use the WalMart “house” brand. I’ve been using discount store filters for 40 years and have never worn out an engine, even after hundreds of thousands of miles. The real key is to change the fluids and filters regularly and do it properly. That includes wiping the gasket mating surface clean, checking the mating gasket for defects, making sure the drain plug gasket is clean and in good shape, using proper torquing protocols, and double checking your work.

While I’m sure that in the lab differences can be found in the manufacture and in the performance of different brands, extrapolating from that its effect on engine life, reliability, wear, or performance is a much more complex technical problem. It’s but one of a large myriad of variables. There really is no data tying the two together.

As I understand it, it is not really cardboard, but it does look like it. In any case I have never seen any evidence that they fail, which I would expect and I would expect the auto makers to have something to say about that when it came to warranty claims. However The absence of proof does not prove anything in this case. I don’t fault anyone who, like Jeremy who makes an informed decision based on the available facts and their tolerance for possible failure.

Do they make them to the same specifications and with the same materials as the filters that are sold under the Fram name? I don’t really care who makes them. I only care about the quality of construction. Since the Fram filter for my car isn’t the same size as the Honda filter, I don’t really believe that they are made to the same specifications, even if Fram does make both.

andrew_j said “FRAM actually makes one of the Honda oem filters for cars…” andrew_j, which one is that?