Obd

where is obd rec. on 97 dakota

A little less cryptic please,in paticular what is rec.?

I think that the OP is asking where the OBD codes can be found on an OBD I vehicle like a '97 Dakota.

If I am correct, obtaining these codes is very different from an OBD II vehicle.
Instead of a readout of numerical codes, like on an OBD II vehicle, you have to count the flashes of the indicator light for the codes on this Dakota, and you should write down the codes for reference.
If I recall correctly, these codes will be two digit codes, unlike the OBD II codes.

Of course, I may have totally misinterpreted the question.

I want to know where to plug in my scanner if that is possible?

It’s usually below the drivers side dash. Although, there are some hidden behind ashtrays.

Tester

The 1997 Dodge Dakota truck OBD II connector is coded as 2-0. This means that it is in location #2, and is not covered (-0) by a panel, etc. This pdf shows the location of the OBD II diagnostic test connector on ALL cars/trucks: http://www.cleanairforce.com/docs/EPA_DLC_LocatorGuide.pdf
The OBD II connector on your 1997 Dodge Dakota truck is located at the extreme lower left of the dash.

[ ALL 1996, and later, cars and light trucks have OBD II (by law). Some 1995 cars had OBD II. Most still had OBD I.]

Oops!
I was under the mistaken impression that OBD II came about for the '98 model year.
Sorry if I misled the OP!

I have a 1995 S/T FSM that has OBD2 Diagnostics and OBD1 and both type distribitors (horizontial and vertical plug wire connections) What is also strange is it has a multi port fuel injection section for the 4 cyl. Was CPI never offered for the 4cyl?

found it. thank you very much!!!