Selecting a code reader to buy

I have a 1997 Ford F350, 5.8 liter multiport fuel injection, the 8th letter of the VIN is H, 9,200 pound gross vehicle weight pickup truck. I have a drivability issue, specifically, the engine seems like it’s starved for fuel for example it looses power, and requires more and more gas pedal to maintain speed, then gets a boost and surges. It does it when it’s hot or cold. Occasionally yhe check engine light comes on. I’ve loosened the gas cap, and it runs the same. I’ve put injector cleaner in the gas, and it seems like it runs better for a while, but it may be my imagination. Anyway, I want to start from the beginning and read the codes. My problem is, my truck does not have a standard OBD. It has a Ford proprietary connector near the master cylinder. The service Manager at Ford pointed it out to me when the people at Advance Autoparts couldn’t find it by looking under the dash. Looking at the “Electrical and Vacuum Troubleshooting Manual,” at the illustration on page 151-1 there are three connectors labeled: C120 4 WABS DATA LINK CONNECTOR; C198 VIP DATA LINK CONNECTOR; C199 VIP DATA LINK CONNECTOR. Which code reader do I need for my truck? Will it use the same code reader as a 1995 Ford F350, 5.8 liter F series truck?

I would suggest you use autozone or someone that reads them for free while in failure mode. We bought one for our mechanics recently that covers backhoe and loaders etc and I believe it was $1200 for the software, reader and wireless transponder.

This site says your OBD-II connector is above he driver’s knee:

http://www.obdclearinghouse.com/index.php?body=oemdb

Enter your information and see for yourself.

It looks like I stumped them.

ALL cars and “light” trucks (not yours), in 1996 were required, by U.S. Federal law, that they must have OBD II; AND, the data link connector MUST be within reach of the driver’s seat.

ADDED LATER: EPA says that all “medium” trucks, under 10,000 GW (yours) must go to OBD II in 2004. It says almost nothing else about medium duty trucks. For specifics, they seem to have fallen through the cracks.

Unless it’s over 8500 pounds gross vehicle weight.

The site shows connector C227 California Except Super Duty. Reference Page 27-10, “1997 F-250 HD, F-350, F-Super Duty Electrical and Vacuum Troubleshooting Manual - Fix It Right the First Time.”

My truck is connector C198, and C199, 49 states or Super Duty (as stated above). Reference page 26-11, “1997 F-250 HD, F-350, F-Super Duty Electrical and Vacuum Troubleshooting Manual - Fix It Right the First Time.”

Yes, the 1997 Ford F350 VIN H is the same as the 1995 Ford F350 5.8L. It has the same three DLC connectors, in the same place (in the corner, next to the brake master cylinder).
It has the same PCM (engine computer) circuitry, and the same pin-outs.
[Reference: alldata diagrams.]
A Haynes, or Chilton’s, or other repair manual might be better than the fatory authorized repair manual. The fms will only instruct you in using the factory scan tool and procedures.
The other repair manual will instruct you in using an analogue voltmeter and a jumper to get the trouble codes.

Thank you. :slight_smile:

The OBD II port should under the dash towards the middle, below the radio and the AC/heater controls.

Every 1996 F-Series/Bronco I’ve encountered has it located there