O/D off flashing

On my windstar O/D Off light flashes for few minutes after the car is started, and goes away once we start travelling. the manual says if the light is flashing check the transmission. Should it be any concern as the light does not stay for long?

The flashing light is an indication of an electronic fault in the transmission’s controls.
Failure to rectify an electronic fault in the transmission will lead to much more expensive mechanical problems in the transmission.

So–even though the light eventually goes off, you should be concerned.
I would recommend that you go to an independent transmission shop to have the system scanned for stored trouble codes and to have the problem diagnosed before your repair bills become ever higher with each passing day.

Do NOT take it to AAMCO, Lee Myles, Cottman, Mr. Transmission, or another chain operation unless you want to be told that you need an overhauled transmission–whether this is really necessary or not.

Hey, thanks for the quick reply. we have check engine light on too, will they be related? I usually take the car to Firestone auto repair which is near to my house, but I always feel he recommends more work… Any suggestions in metro detroit?

At the top of this page, click on the tab labeled “Actual Auto Info”. Then, look for the link to the Mechanics (or is it Mechan-X?) files. By entering a zip code or city, you can see listed mechanics who were recommended by listeners and forum members.

Oh–Yes, the illuminated CEL is probably related and is significant.
Take the car to an independent transmission shop.
Hopefully you will find one listed in the files on this site.

"The flashing light is an indication of an electronic fault in the transmission’s controls. "
That’s not entirely accurate.
It is an indication that the PCM (electronics) has detected a transmission fault. The fault can be with the electronics, or it can be one of the mechanical faults that the electronics can detect.

One thing I noticed is that the light flashes when I put the car in Drive. If the shifting is smooth it does not come up, but if there is some jerk it flashes and then goes away as you start driving. so what could be causing this? electronic or mechanical?

Get the actual code and our transmission experts can answer that question.

Probably a sticking solenoid valve.